My turn to cry: Phillips DSR708 ....

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ccchuck, Sep 24, 2011.

1. ccchuck

ccchuck Member

Jul 24, 2003
    without warning unit showed no picture, no sound, and while "on" light stays on, would not respond to remote (or onboard buttons) without a restart , done this twice, week apart.- so what's the verdict? HD, power supply, etc.?

help, sympathy and guesses welcome.:(

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Dead hard drive would still yield a "Welcome, starting up ..." display. Sounds like your Power Supply died. Or perhaps a motherboard failure.

3. ccchuck

ccchuck Member

Jul 24, 2003
    It does restart and run correctly after a reboot - so flaky power supply?

...and hey really appreciate you trying to help, I really dread the idea of getting a r15/r16 from direct

4. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    ccchuck,

I'd try a different power supply as a starting point if you have another unit you can swap with easily. I wouldn't rule out an issue with your HDD either. Help us understand more, is your unit running fine for awhile and then just locking up?

You do have my sympathy because the S2 DTivos were only designed to last about 5 years and the hardware is just wearing out. I am at a critical decision point myself as I still have 4 Zippered S2 DTivos running. Unfortunately this summer has been rough on the equipment. 2 of the 4 are now exhibiting the early signs of the dreaded Tuner 2 failures. Every one of them has been through the work bench at least once for a failed HDD or power supply. DirecTV is no help either, they just want to push the new Whole-Home DVR solution so you only have 1 DVR in the house. There is no sign of the new HD DirecTiVo. It has been promised for so long I just no longer believe that it's coming. I think it's time to bite the bullet and go with the Premieres and sign up for cable again.