My turn to ask -Why is my TiVo recording crap?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mick66, Sep 18, 2007.

1. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

Advertisements

Question deleted.

I'm having a difficult time understanding why when I ask a question and clearly state that the answer is not A, the answer is not B and the answer is not C, that the responses I get are suggesting that A, B, or C are the answer. Then even after I make it clear again that C isn't the answer, someone comes along and suggests C as the answer. WTF?

I'd apologize for expecting more than that, but I can't.
    I think it's just plain sad that so many educated adults outright refuse to actually think before they blurt out ignorance and that others feel the need to defend them.

2. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Perhaps the Tivo has developed a mind of its own and has decided that the shows you record are crap and wants to watch something interesting?

Bout the best I can come up with :D

3. PRMan

PRMan New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yorba...
    Do you have any wishlists? Check the show descriptions.

I have a wishlist for "Justice League" but I occasionally get a random episode of Judging Amy entitled "The Justice League of America".

4. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Wishlist recordings would be stars, not yellow check marks.

I set up a wishlist for Cane+HD last week since it wasn't in the guide yet to set up a SP.

This morning it recorded Young and the Restless, but again it was a blue star, not a single yellow checkmark.

I was thinking something got messed up on the TiVo online scheduling and someone else's recording got sent to your TiVo, but aren't they iconed different than the yellow checkmark?

phox

5. sakura panda

sakura panda Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan

Advertisements

A single check is a manual scheduling, right? That is, if you pick Record this Episode from the list in the program description; not an automatic recording but one someone picked specifically.

I don't know if that helps, but there seems to be some guessing about what a single check mark means. :D

--Katie

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

[​IMG]

7. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    Your remote is somewhat flaky and is sending the occasional mis-command to the TiVo when you're not in the room? (An errant "Record" command will commit whatever is currently in the live buffer to disk as a recorded program).

Along the same lines, something else in the environment (another remote, perhaps) that the TiVo is mis-interpeting commands from?

Someone in your household is playing head games with you?

8. DaveLessnau

DaveLessnau Love My TiVo!

Nov 10, 2000
    USA
    I've had similar cases where single-check recordings were scheduled. It turns out they're from the CNET Guru Guide I subscribed to. For instance, today I found some kind of cooking show with a single-check in the To Do list. Neither the wife nor I had scheduled it. I checked the Guru Guide, and there it was. Do you have any Guru Guides set up?

9. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    My guess would be guru guides as well if you have those set up -- I've had the same "huh?" moment with guru guide recordings, and they do appear as a single checkmark but aren't labelled as stemming from a guru guide.

But, it seems like you refuse to consider that possibility, because you think you already know everything there is to know. I don't really understand why you are asking our opinion, actually, since you're unwilling to listen to anything anyone suggests. I know you are a longtime poster, but just as with newbies, people are a lot less likely to want to help you if you are incredibly rude to them.

10. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Well, not by insulting the people who are trying to help me, calling them idiots, and being sarcastic and rude about it. I'd probably start by thanking everyone who had posted, then reiterating the reasons I think their suggestions are missing the mark. There is nothing wrong with letting people know they are on the wrong track, but it's possible, and preferable, to do it in a polite and respectful way.

If several people suggested guru guides, for example, and I knew I'd never signed up for any, I'd say something like "That's a good suggestion about the guru guides, but since I never enabled that function on my TiVo, that can't be my problem." I wouldn't call people "dumb-ass stupid" and post head-banging icons and use gigantic fonts for my withering, dismissive, and sarcastic commentary. People are trying to help you, and there's just no need to be rude to them in return.

You catch more flies with honey, and all that. :)

11. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Since mick66 knows the answers to all, then why bother posting this in the first place? No matter what anyone says we are all wrong, and you are right....

So tell us Mr Expert what the Problem is, and how to fix it so we can all learn and be better prepared in case it happens to us...

Insulting people for trying to help will get you no where. In fact, all you are doing is making yourself look like a fool since you can not even tell us the answer to your problem :D

Have a nice evening :D

12. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West

13. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Watch out Dawny, before too much longer he will be pointing out the mistakes in your Post, the spelling, mis-quotes etc etc.

Remember, we are all worthless and idiots in the eyes of our beloved Leader!

:D

14. jchilton

jchilton New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Sherlock Holmes said, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Since you've eliminated guru guides, errant signals, online scheduling, wish lists, and, presumably, senile dementia, only one possibility remains. Kelsey Grammar has heard through the grapevine that you don't fancy his acting, and he's deliberately and stealthily snuck into your house when you're away, and programmed an episode of his show into your lineup. Alas, Mr. Grammar isn't handy with a TiVo, and his first scheduling attempt netted you "That '70s Show" as well. Mr. Grammar doesn't know where the Clear button on the TiVo remote is, so he wasn't able to delete that one.

Improbable? Yes. Impossible? No.

You're welcome, chum.......
    ...p.

15. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    using the "ignore" feature works well... which is where mickster has gone by the way side

16. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Have you ever shown someone you know how to schedule remotely? If so, maybe they are having fun with you and are doing remote scheduling (i.e., they could have watched you type in your ID/PW).......

Also, I would consider the possibility of updating your TiVo Account ID and PW in case someone has stolen your credentials.

17. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    I see the misquote, want to point out the other errors there wolflord? :) I'm at a loss . But don't worry, I'm relatively comfortable with being (seen as) an idiot.

18. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    My guess is a problem with the motherboard, errant signals internally are causing recordings to be set up. Either that or it's a ghost. Or maybe you drink too much and just don't remember scheduling those recordings when you got the late night Ashton Kusher/Kelsey Grammar cravings.

19. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    To help you out before Mr mick yells at you: "You've made an a priori assertion"

:D

20. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    There is the answer..... it is the drink which has caused the problems! :D