My TiVoHD XL suddenly has super-slow remote response

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rlcarr, Jun 23, 2009.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA

Advertisements

Twice now in the past several days my TiVoHD XL has gotten into a state where it is incredibly slow to respond to the remote. It's not the remote -- I've changed the batteries and also used a second remote I have lying around.

When it's in this state, the yellow light doesn't light up when I press a key on the remote. Maybe it'll register one out of 20 keypresses (when it does register, the yellow light lights up). It still records fine when in this state.

It's connected to cable (RCN) with two S-cards.

I've had the machine for several weeks, so it's not the "new machine is slowed due to indexing" thing. And if I reboot, it'll be fine for a few days and go back into the bad state.

Any idea what's going on or how to fix it?

2. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Additional info...

It's connected to the TV (Samsung B750 series) via HDMI and has 182 suggestions (and around 250 recordings altogether).

And another bit of weirdness -- while vainly pressing buttons at it, I accidentally hit the TV power button on the TiVo remote, turning the TV off. The TiVo then immediately started responding properly to the remote !?

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    See if your TV has a setting that sounds something like "light sensor" or "intelligent sensor" or "ambient sensor." That feature -- found on many newer LCD TVs -- works by emitting IR signals, and those signals interfere with often interfere with remote signals.

Edit: Did you recently change the settings on your TV?

A quick search revealed that those in AVS Official Samsung LNxxB750 Owners Thread experience the same problem with the latest Dish Network DVRs. IR interference from the TV is the culprit. Here's how people solved it:

If setting the TV backlighting to 6 addresses the problem, then you can either keep that setting or look into RF control. Adding RF control to the TiVo remote is a fairly simple with the Next-Generation Remote control extender. From Using TiVo in my signature:

4. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Interesting! I recently dropped the backlight from 3 to 2. I've just put it back to 3 and will see what happens. And if it happens again, I'll try the paper tube trick as a test.

Thanks!

5. johnc1949

johnc1949 New Member

Jun 27, 2009

Advertisements

Hello,
    I am having what seems to be the same problem and it is not the remote. I have isolated it to a bad cable input signal. My S3 becomes very suggish and eventually reboots. I found that if I disconnect the cable input, the S3 recovers and I can navigate normally again. I have tried several things, including replacing the S3 twice. It works for a month or two then back to the same old thing. Here is my setup:

S3 Tivo HD recorder
    Charter Digital Cable
    2 - Single Stream Cable Cards

I suspected low signal level since I have a couple of splitters so I installed a 1.2 GHz/ 20 dB line amp. This did not help and may have even made things worse. I then suspected that the signal may be too high so I removed the amp and installed a 3dB pad and tested. This did not help so I kept adding additional attentuation, 3 dB at a time and testing at each iteration. I did this until the DVR would not lock up any more. This is really getting crazy that it will work for weeks or months and the just hang up. Does anyone know what the optimum SNR range is for a S3? Also, I never see a Signal Level in the DVR Diagnostic screen. Is this normal?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

6. damien28

damien28 New Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I had problems with the remote not being picked up by the TIVO XL. I took all remotes out of the room, turned off my samsung wireless speakers, turned off my iphone, and gradually brought each in one by one. It was neither of these. I played with the settings on my SAMSUNG LCD TV and stopped the Wireless Remote Function (that was to allow my iphone to function as a Samsung Remote wirelessly).......once I did this, the Tivo worked perfectly ! I think that the Samsung was eating the IR signals from the Tivo remote control. Anyway, it now works so much happier.

And as a side note, I reconnected the Samsung 'Wireless Remote Function' as 'on' and the Tivo remote still works just as good ! But mind you I haven't checked if it is actually connected to my Iphone now, so maybe it's lost a connection (that may have been the original cause of the issue). If it happens again, after i've used my iphone as Samsung remote, well then I will be turing this function off the Samsung television, and recommence enjoying my Tivo again ! :)