My TiVo Wish

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SpacemanSpiff, Sep 19, 2011.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Other than the obvious HD offering. I would love to be able to categorize season passes by channel type.

This time of year, when I'm adding in the new shows I'm going to try out I run into conflicts between new shows and old shows. Specifically between shows on the broadcast networks and shows on the cable networks that air multiple times a night. For example, let me flag Eureka as a cable show and Castle as a broadcast show. That way when I go to add Castle, and I've already got Eureka and House it will automatically push Eureka back and let me get Castle. Instead of having to go and pick new showings of the cable program so I can grab the season pass for the new show, and then re-order the season passes so in the future my cable shows get grabbed at the later time.

Should be simple. Right?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Not likely to ever happen on the DirecTV/Tivo platform.

3. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    I think I understand what you're getting at. . . but I don't think this ever bothered me in the least. But maybe I'm missing something.

With my SPs, I keep all of the "live" and airs-once-a-week shows at the very top of my SP list. After those, I then have all of my multiple-times-a-week shows -- Starz/HBO/Showtime series, USA/AMC/SyFy/HGTV/Food/etc. -- and then there's a big group of "if you're not doing anything else, I like these shows too" SPs. When I add a new SP, I just slot it in whichever group it belongs with. This takes about two minutes, tops.

I realize that you want the TiVo to do this automatically. But wouldn't you then be expecting the TiVo to know that you like, say, "The Closer" a little bit better than "The Walking Dead," so "The Closer" should be above "TWD"? Wouldn't you be sacrificing some of your control/choice in order to have TiVo automatically prioritize your SPs (which I think actually defeats the purpose)?

Just my .02.

Bob

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    I move shows around myself to keep them in the right order. But whenever new shows come on the air, it's back to the season pass manager to order them.
    The problem with season passes as they stand now is that the new show is always pushed down to the bottom.

I don't expect TiVo to know what shows should be where. But maybe give me two season pass lists. A shows and B shows. When I add a new show, I tell it which list to put the show on, and conflict resolution always puts a show on the A list above a show on the B list, regardless of what the actual priority is on either show.

5. Matt L

Matt L New Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI
    Ah, the pleasures of MVR, I never have this issue....

6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Instead of my having to add MASH for the 5 channels it airs I would like to add it once and have it ask me if I want it to record the show on any channel. I can pick yes and now my one SP works no matter what channel the show airs.

I know I can do this with the wish list but it doesn't folder the same. That would be my wish,.

7. htroberts

htroberts New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Durham, NC
    The scheduler could also be smart enough to defer recording an episode of a high priority show that's airing multiple times in favor of a lower priority but only-showing-once episode...

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I disagree. Just arrange your SPs so that shows that air multiple times have a lower priority than shows that air once. I don't want the TiVo deciding what the recording priorities should be.

9. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    It could be, in a perfect world, but the world is not perfect, and it isn't that smart.

As for shows that repeat and those that don't, I think that is a concept that while difficult for a SP algorithm, its actually pretty easy for viewers to manage, and we have to take some of the responsibility here on ourselves and not expect some magic assistant to read our minds.

I have found a couple of ways to make this more manageable. If this works for you, then great.

1) Use two DVRs, and put shows from the 3 least-watched major nets on one, and the other two on the other. This automatically minimizes prime time collisions. Put shows from cable nets on whatever you want, and try to put shows that would otherwise conflict on the DVR where they don't.

2) Rather than try to prioritize all the shows, which is daunting, first move all shows from a particular day into the same part of the list and then reprioritize them within that group. There is little chance that a Tuesday show will conflict with a Wednesday show, for instance, so rather than trying to keep all of that in view at once, group them by day and deal with them in subgroups, and it doesn't really matter if Tuesday shows are above Wednesday shows since they don't conflict.

3) Once you have weekly repeating and non-repeating shows grouped together by day, move those that do not repeat throughout the week to the top of that group, and move those that do repeat to the bottom of that group. At this point your list will be something like this: Sunday no-repeats, below that Sunday repeaters, below that Monday no-repeats, below that Monday repeaters, etc.

4) Once you have each day prioritized like that, move each day's repeaters below all of the non-repeaters. Try to keep each day's repeaters grouped as well.

5) There may be a few other minor tweaks you may want to do, for instance a show like The Mentalist will surely repeat both on CBS and on cable, while a show like Fringe probably will not repeat anywhere, possibly not even in the summer. So even if you like The Mentalist better than Fringe, prioritize by likelihood of repeat rather than by what is your favorite, and prioritize by serialized over episodic. If Fringe conflicts with The Mentalist and you lose The Mentalist, you can pick it up later and see it again. If Fringe is lost by being prioritized lower, that's a problem because it may never repeat and you also do not want to watch those out of serial order.
    This has been my approach for years; it yields very few conflicts and has served me well. It works much better than just listing your favorite shows in order and is easier since each day's shows are prioritized as a group. You may like The Good Wife much better than Terra Nova yet Sunday shows may be near the bottom of the repeaters while Monday shows are near the top, but it won't really matter because the likelihood of a conflict between the two is almost non-existent. If you do have conflicts and don't catch them, the conflicts are less damaging than they could be.

But EX-pect what you IN-spect. Verifying what will record and making adjustments before the fact is still important.

Try it. It works.