My Tivo/OTA is no longer usable..

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dhculley, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Apr 5, 2021 #1 of 13
    dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021

Advertisements

My three year old Roamio/OTA has decided to stop receiving video input and can only tell me it has 'no signal'..no other remote controls do anything..WK and Tivo say 'too bad' not fixable..

I could use some help in getting, if possible, kmttg to somehow let me pull off some of the shows we had recorded to my computer..not all but a bunch..

I have ktmmg loaded and asking for the MAC..but I have no access to the internal MAC and there are 2 MAC's on the rear body, but I have no idea if those are the same it's asking for or which 10 characters would work..

Since ktmmg exists I'm sure I'm not the only one who has run into this problem..

If anyone has some thoughts on this matter I would appreciate them...thank you

2. Apr 5, 2021 #2 of 13
    osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Been a while since I set things up. Is it asking for the MAK. Media Access Key? If so, then login to your TiVo account online and look up the media access key for your account.

kpeters59, HerronScott and krkaufman like this.
  3. Apr 7, 2021 #3 of 13
    dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    Thank you, appreciate your response..but I never needed to use TIVO to activate my unit..what I bought was one that was stand-alone, not using a subscription...so I never had a TIVO account. If the only way to get a MAK is to activate via TIVO I wonder if there is a way to activate this unit that is no longer talking to anyone..thank you again..

4. Apr 7, 2021 #4 of 13
    cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Every TiVo needs an account/subscription.

Did you buy it used/from a previous owner? If so, the account remains in their name.

And yes, you’ll need the Media Access Key to pull video files off the device.

5. Apr 8, 2021 #5 of 13
    jerryez

jerryez Active Member

May 16, 2001
    Pensacola,FL...

Advertisements

Contact Weaknees and see if they can fix it.

6. Apr 9, 2021 #6 of 13
    dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    I had forgotten about the account..once I hunted down the what I set up almost three years ago I was able to get the MAK code...thank you for making me dig into memory and for your response...

krkaufman and cwoody222 like this.
  7. dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    Thank you..they said it was not fixable..sigh..thank you for your reply..

8. dhculley

dhculley New Member

Apr 5, 2021
    I finally did get into my account and found the MAK..thank you for reminding me a course to take..

cwoody222 likes this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I’m not clear from your problem description as to whether the TiVo can no longer tune content, or it’s failing to produce a usable video signal for the TV. If the latter, and you’ve had the TiVo connected to your TV via HDMI, it’s possible that only the HDMI output on the TiVo is bad ... but you could still get video output via the AV port. (see AV cable)

Also, have you tried other HDMI cables, other HDMI inputs on the same or other TVs?

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I love TiVo. See this description from their AV breakout cable kit:

“* Ideal for TiVo Mini or TiVo Mini VOX”​

And now tell me where the breakout cable connects on the Mini VOX or LUX. (back panel)

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If composite video works but isn’t acceptable, there’s also this Oct2016 post from a semi-related thread on the Roamio OTA, where a one-post wonder claims to have enabled component video output on a basic Roamio (which is identical to the Roamio OTA):

Given how many A91/A92 Mini’s have died in recent years, getting the needed parts shouldn’t be a roadblock.

And if you’re not up for the task, yourself, perhaps you could convince Weaknees to give it a try.

CC: @baakre @rockstar72

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    CC: @weaknees