My Tivo just became much less compelling to me

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by westside_guy, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1 of 77
    westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    I've been using my Tivo HD for several years to watch Netflix and streaming content from my own library of ripped DVDs, in addition to recording TV of course. Well, we just replaced our living room TV with a new LG LW5600, and frankly it does a much better job handling things like Netflix and our own streaming media than the Tivo did (the Plex client works great!). We're basically back to where we started a decade ago - using the Tivo simply as a DVR.

I've been a Tivo customer quite a while; but I'm beginning to think this HD may be my last Tivo. Cable DVRs have improved significantly, at least from what I hear from my friends that own them. I know I'm likely to get some "don't let the door hit you on the way out" responses - but I'm curious to hear what people think Tivo is really offering anymore that isn't available from pretty much everything else the TV is connected to. Is there still room for Tivo's premium pricing in a market that seems to be moving towards commoditization?

Addendum: Looking at a few replies, it's apparent I need to clarify - the LW5600 is an LG "smart" television, not some add-on box.

2. Dec 4, 2011 #2 of 77
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    From my thinking, since tivo is still the only viable DVR option for OTA, and it does handle streaming and home media (perhaps not the best but it does fine) it remains as the only single point solution for ALL media presented under a single consistant interface for the entire home. So yes, its a niche product, but still the only one that combines all required features for our home. Any other way uses multiple boxes, multiple interfaces and each tv works different. Too big of a step down from what we have now.

3. Dec 4, 2011 #3 of 77
    jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I don't know about your own streaming media I don't have any, but i can say the integration of netflix and others is nice on a unit you use all the time. I have a BD player for a couple years capable of that but it seams easier on tivo just because it's always right there.

And then on the cable company note. I guess it depends on which cable company and dvr they use. My cable company has the worst dvr and i couldn't take it anymore. so reseach reviews before you jump. And also, you don't have any HR2x's, they are really good, you could just upgrade to them.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #4 of 77
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I tried avoiding the upfront cost of TiVo once, trying the new Comcast HD box. It was unusable- the DVR and ondemand interfaces used the same keys for different functions. ONne you were done watching a program, the path back to watch more content was different. It missed recordings. It rebooted. It was terrible (especially as I had a thd already and knew how good it should be).

Perhaps you will have a better experience, but a tivo with lifetime saved money, aggravation, and has family acceptance.

5. Dec 4, 2011 #5 of 77
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Your LG TV doesnt pause live TV, nor does it record TV. Your TiVo does. TiVo is first and formost a DVR anything extra it might do... well is extra. Its still the best DVR out there..IMO!

6. Dec 4, 2011 #6 of 77
    news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would echo the above...

I have only been a Tivo customer for 18 months and my reason for selecting Tivo was because of the promise of being able to have one device that could record and stream from each of my preferred sources. I hate having multiple devices powered up all the time and having to switch remotes. I hardly ever play DVD's anymore since Tivo allows me to stream Netflix, Hulu, and Web Videos as well as renting new movies from Blockbuster and Amazon, or even purchasing Tickets to my local Movie Theaters if I want to catch the absolute newest movies. Most of my selections for newer movies are from Amazon's $1.99 Weekend specials but Tivo's ability to search for new movies and then compare prices between providers is fantastic. And, while I would prefer DLNA support, Tivo does provide a way to copy and play my own videos from my PC's and ReadyNAS device.

While I was perfectly happy with my FIOS DVRs, I can honestly say the only thing I miss about them is the great selection of On Demand videos. After 4 years of paying $300 in annual rental fees, the ongoing costs didn't make sense when compared to purchasing Tivo's with Lifetime Service. So, I purchased 2 Premieres with Lifetime service and have a 3rd Premiere with an Annual Service plan of $99 (all done before the current rate increases).

My FIOS rates continue to climb (as an existing customer I am expected to pay $30 per month more than what new customers pay for a 2 year contract!), so I have been flirting with dropping CableTV altogether and just keeping High Speed Internet services, and going OTA. There again, my Tivo Premiere's are going to be a huge part of the solution.

Hopefully, Tivo wants to remain competitive in the retail space and will continue to improve and add new features to our boxes. If not, I can sell my boxes and adopt whatever makes more sense to me.

Doing your homework is a positive thing, so noone can fault you there. Good Luck to you Westside_guy...

7. Dec 4, 2011 #7 of 77
    plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    There is a Plex plugin for TiVo that will let you watch your recorded content right inside of Plex. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds pretty cool. I am installing plex media server right now. Taking it's sweet time to install....

8. Dec 4, 2011 #8 of 77
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Exactly. Not sure what system the OP is on, but I can tell you that Comcast's DVRs suck just as hard as they did a few years ago, there's been no meaningful improvement. They can't hold a candle to a Tivo.

9. Dec 4, 2011 #9 of 77
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yes, it most definitely is.
    The Op now has a TV that will handle all of his streaming needs. Ok, great, I get that, but the part I don't get is giving up the Tivo for a junk bucket of a cable dvr because he only needs a dvr and doesn't need the extra features of the Tivo (that, btw, don't cost extra) when the tivo he has is already a far superior dvr than anything he could replace it with.

There's no way in hell I'd give up my TiVo Premiere just because I'll now be using a Roku for Netflix, Hulu+, Pandora, and Amazon Instant Video.

10. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    I've only made brief use of my TiVo S3 for streaming video or downloaded movie rental and I have multiple other things which do any of that I'm interested in far, far better than my TiVo ever did: BD player, Xbox, PS3, Roku 2 and this PC (connected to the same LCD panel and AVR as the rest). I'd consider switching to a rented cable DVR (my cable system has been using Passport Echo on their boxes which I always liked) but my S3 has PLS and it would cost considerably more to lease a cable DVR than the $4 for a couple of CableCARDs. A leased cable box is also tempting because Cox has added channels that I should get and assigned them to an SDV bandwidth pool up above 850 Mhz--I'd really, really like Tennis Channel HD and I can't get it on my TiVo. Cox has threatened to eventually charge for the use of the Tuning Adapter--if they do that, I might go to a leased box. (I should probably fight both moves via the FCC and the local cable franchising agency, but I don't have the energy).

Buying a Premiere might solve some of this (not the TA rental fee) but then I'd have a monthly charge from TiVo--you can't win :rolleyes:.

11. thund3rstruck

thund3rstruck New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    Of course this will be unpopular on a Tivo community site but I have to respond that personally I feel Tivo is not worth the price. I was probably the world's biggest supporter of Tivo up until 5 years or so ago when my Tivo suddenly died and I had no other alternative but to use a Satellite DVR.

For DVR-only my family is overwhelmingly satisfied with the DirecTV DVRs, especially the way they all automatically talk to each other and share hard disk space; allowing any recording to be played in any room in the house.

For Ripped DVD, Blurays, Music, Netflix, Internet TV, Hulu, GameTrailers, etc, etc we have a separate $200 nettop PC the runs XBMC Media Center. Sure it sucks to have two remotes and two devices but the XBMC is so incredibly badass that we actually watch it more than we watch DVR recordings.

The only thing I miss about Tivo is not having any way to rip and transcode our recordings off the Tivo but that's ok since you can find other people's rips off the TV torrent sites. .

12. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I agree with that, I happen to really like the directv dvr's as well. As close to tivo as you can get. But we arent' talking about directv, the op is considering cable.

13. sparks1

sparks1 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    What are the advantages of Plex?

14. westside_guy

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    Actually, it's funny because the Plex Tivo plugin is the one thing I haven't got to work! :D

In a nutshell, Plex takes your personal media files and offers them up in a pleasing visual manner similar to how Netflix's interface (on a good device like the PS3) works - you get movie art, summaries, actor lists and so on.

If you name your media files in a reasonably sane manner, Plex does a pretty good job automatically figuring out what you've got - and if it messes up, it's easy to "correct it" to get the right movie/TV show info.

And there's no 1.1GB streaming filesize limitation. ;)

As far as watching Tivo through it... if it works (and works well), it'd be cool because right now I'm paying for an extra Tivo simply for MRV use that happens maybe once a month.

I am with Comcast. However one "advantage" to giving up my Tivo is I could then potentially switch to an alternative; e.g. DirectTV. In my case, the Tivo does have the side-effect of locking me into Comcast's network.

Just for the record, I have no argument with people who think Tivo is the best DVR out there. As far as I know... it is indeed. And it's not a given I'm going to move away from it. But, if I do stay with Tivo, it will be for the DVR functionality since there's no real advantage to streaming to a Tivo versus a television - it's all a matter of clicking buttons on a remote at that point. :D

In any case, I appreciate all the thoughts expressed so far!

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Not worth the price? I saved a bunch of money by using TiVos instead of FiOS DVRs. I would have spent much more money over the last four plus years renting FiOS DVRs(Or Comcast DVRs) instead of TiVos. Then I would have also used more electricity, I also wouldn't have been able to transfer any of my FiOS recordings to my PC for permanent storage or to be burned to a Blu-ray Disc.

If TiVo isn't worth the price then I don't see how the cable company DVRs that cost more for less features can be justified. And of course the TiVos don't miss recordings regularly like the Comcast and FiOS DVRs in this area.

16. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I've been a Tivo user for a decade. I have two Tivos and two Media Center PCs. I find myself watching the PCs more and the Tivos less.

17. sparks1

sparks1 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    So where do I get the Plex plugin? Why hasn't it worked for you? Also, what does MRV mean? The plugin sounds very ideal to deal with Tivo's difficult naming schemes to represent files the way you'd like to see them on the tivo box.

18. westside_guy

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    MRV = Tivo's Multi-Room Viewing

I don't think Plex's Tivo plugin does what you're thinking it does. The Plex plugin is installed through a Plex client's interface (Media Link on my LG television, in this case). It's supposed to let you view shows that are on your Tivo through the Plex client - but for me it never gets past asking for my Media Access Key. I type it in, it never gets past that step.

As far as I know there's no Plex client that runs as a Tivo HME app - which is what it sounds like you were thinking of.

19. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    For OTA, I am still not aware of any DVR close to as good as TiVo but for satellite TV and internet video access, TiVo is nothing special. As far as DVR/internet streaming box, I can't think of anything better if you must have both in one box. I do know some can make a PC as a DVR/streaming player/media center work well but I haven't been able to do that.

20. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I use my Tivos for ota only and no longer subcribe to satelite or cable. While my sony blu-ray palyers do a better job of streaming and providing internet content including amazon and netflix, we wouldn't dream of watching tv without tivo.