1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My TiVo is acting strange....won't connect

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Karyn, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    It says:

"This TiVo box is no longer connected to the internet. Some options will not be available until you fix your internet connection."

Huh? It works just fine on OTA but I can't go to apps. It SAYS it's connected but in the app page says it's not.

Apparently my bad luck this week is TiVo box contagious.

Anyone ....HELP!

Thank you!

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Exactly where does it say it is connected?

3. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Where it checks network settings. Everything says it's just fine. It tunes fine as well...just keeps insisting it has no internet when trying to go to apps.

I reset the modem twice. It's not the modem and it's not my ISP. I'm dumbfounded. I even tried manually rekeying my user name and password in and it says "excellent strength" for internet. Then I go to apps and get that message.

4. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    NewWhere it checks network settings. Everything says it's just fine. It tunes fine as well...just keeps insisting it has no internet when trying to go to apps.

I reset the modem twice. It's not the modem and it's not my ISP. I'm dumbfounded. I even tried manually rekeying my user name and password in and it says "excellent strength" for internet. Then I go to apps and get that message.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Honestly your posts are a little hard to follow, at this point all I am clear on is your TiVo doesn't believe it has access to the Internet. So lets try and clear some things up:
    1. It sounds like you have a Roamio OTA - is that correct?
    2. Have you restarted your TiVo?
    3. How do you have your TiVo connected to your home network (WiFi or Ethernet)?
    4. Are you running the old HDUI or the new Hydra UI?
    5. How do you know it's not the modem or your ISP? Do you have other devices that are able to connect to the Internet without issue?
    6. When you say "manually re-keying my user name and password in and it says "excellent strength" for Internet" are you talking about re-entering your user name and password for your WiFI network? If so that "excellent strength" reading has nothing to do with if your unit is actually connecting to the Internet or not.
    7. Go to: "Settings & Messages" - then select the "Network settings" sub menu. Was your last TiVo Service connection successful or not? From there select the Network trouble shooting option, what where the test results?

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No clue if it will help your situation, and I don't have the time to research it, but it's a brief test so no harm in trying...

When the problem occurs, you could try the "UI Refresh" remote sequence.

From TiVo Central, press:

Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up
    Play
    Play

audiodane and Karyn like this.
  7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It may say its connected to your network, but did you try to make a Tivo Service connection? Its important that it connected recently (within the last 24 hrs) or the apps may not work.

Also, make sure you are not using Hydra. There are plenty of issues with it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  8. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017

9. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I didn't use it last night but did yesterday afternoon to watch YouTube. It worked fine then.

I'm watching YouTube via my FireTV now as the TiVo won't let me.

Hydra is the new update of a couple of months ago? I disliked the TiVo prior.

10. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    One question that wasn't asked:

Are you receiving an error when the problem occurs?

OK, 2 questions:

Is it C501?

-KP

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Karyn: To keep this a little shorter I am not going to re quote everything. From the answers you gave in Post # 8 - it appears your unit is actually connecting to the Internet.

I would go back into Network Settings and as ThAbtO said do a manual service connection - to do so just click on (Select) "TiVo Service Connection" if it does not complete successfully please post any errors.

Because you are running the new Hydra UI there maybe issues those of us still running the old HDUI can not see. After completing the manual service connection - if you still can not access the apps note any error messages and post them.

And yes playing or recording OTA channels does not require internet access.

Karyn likes this.
  12. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    OMG! I don't know WHAT that does BUT it worked!
    :)

Thank you SO very much krkaufman! :)

krkaufman and kpeters59 like this.
  13. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    The thumbs down thumbs up play play fixed it and I don't remember the error code but it wasn't that one. I think it was C3xx or C4xx but not C501. I'd remember that one (number is associated with someone I know).

14. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I had the same problem twice now and both just recently. Had to unplug the TiVo let sit for say 20 seconds plug back in and it was good. So if it's happening to others must be a TiVo thing possibly server related?....

Karyn likes this.
  15. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I suspect so, johntasc.

Everything else worked fine when this occurred.

I do remember the menu of My Shows was misbehaving in the days prior AND CBS, an OTA channel, was all scrambled. The two are not relevant to each other so it has to be something TiVo.

The thumbs down thumbs up play play fixed it.

The occurrence still doesn't make much sense to me but that series of command fixed it.

16. jmerr74

jmerr74 Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Pembroke...
    I had issues yesterday myself. Everything was going well until 5'ish...couldn't get my TiVo Bridge to connect called the help line...awful by the way...they told me TiVo Servers were having issues. Today everything seemed on point.

Karyn likes this.
  17. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    I think TiVo has issues from time to time that might "heal themselves" so we don't ALL notice. I don't watch live TV so only notice when playing back if something's not right or going to an app.

Today CBS recordings were all messed up. Coincidence? Hmmm...across the top of screen was a banner to Dish customers indicating they may soon lose CBS. How'd THAT get into MY OTA CBS messed up revordings?

Hmmm....

18. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Usually those banners would be sent out by your local CBS station, so everybody who gets that feed, OTA, Cable, Dish, DirecTV, etc. all see it since they are faithfully giving you what they received.

Karyn likes this.
  19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Probably due to NFL football.

20. Karyn

Karyn Member

Jul 19, 2017
    LOL!:p:joycat: