My Tivo has started to die - help migrating to new disk

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by ciper, Jul 22, 2007.

1. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    After so many years of trouble free use my A drive has started to fail. Before the thing completely crashes and burns I'd like to buy a new hard drive to replace my A drive.

I need your help. It has been so long since I've done this I've lost track.

I currently have 2 200gb drives. Id like to copy my data over as is from the current failing A drive to a new A drive. Larger drives are cheap now so I wonder what is the largest drive I can replace the A drive with?

Secondly which bootable CD should I use to migrate the data?

The reason I think the hard drive is failing is that my cache card takes significantly longer to pass the "caching" stage and I get the following messages in the kernel log

Thank you for your help.

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Since I havn't recieved any response I will attempt to replace my 2 200gb drives with a single 500gb drive using "UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #6" from http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html

Now an even more important question. I manually marked the file system dirty while trying to resolve the problem. Is their anyway to put it back into a clean state?

3. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Model of your TiVo? Size of the drives?

Your best bet to keep recordings would be to do a binary copy of the 'A' drive to a new 'A' drive using dd_rescue. Not sure if you can merge both to a single drive with a Series 1 TiVo.

As you have been away for a while check out MFSLive it has a new modified version of MFSTools I think most of the changes were for the Series2 TiVo's

Form marking the drive clean how did you mark it dirty?

4. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    PPC SVR2000 with 2 200gb drives.

A binary copy from one drive to another was my initial intention but then I stupidly used mfsassert -please to mark the file system dirty which gets mfsfix to run at boot with a GSOD.

I feel that I've fallen victim to a situation similar to this http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/printthread.php?t=69952&p=634991

MFSLIVE looks interesting.

edit: AWESOME! A quote from the MFSLive site
    Now the only problem is that it seems I cannot move from two drives back into one without loosing my recordings :(

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I think I may have "fixed" my problem.
    I can verify that 128mb of swap is not enough for two 200gb drives

The long story short is that I made an 80mb swap file on my var partition in addition to the 127mb file on partition 8 for a total of just over 200mb of swap. This allowed the file system check to continue without crashing. I sure learned a lot in the meantime.

For some reason the version of mkswap on the MFSLive cd was unable to initialize a version 0 file. I had to use DD to copy partition 8 to a file that was truncated at 80mb. The swapon binary on my tivo cannot understand version 1 swap files that mkswap wanted to use.