My "Tivo For Sale" Thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by cwaring, Jun 24, 2010.

1. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...

Advertisements

There's going to be two of these in the next week or two.

The first one is my 'backup' unit. (Was my original unit!) It's a standard, un-sub'd box with no hard drive and only the remote control. The front is a little scratched. In fact, I just noticed that the remote is - un-intnetionally - covering quite a bad one.

I was going to put it on eBay but I thought I'd save the fees and ask on here first ;)

[​IMG]

Would prefer payment by Paypal and pick-up rather than delivery as I don't have any box big enough!

Obvously, offers by PM or email only. (Not expecting much for this one of course!)

The other unit will be a LT-sub'd one with a Terbonet card!

2. speedyrite

speedyrite New Member

May 18, 2002
    Droitwich,...
    Should I be getting my black armband out in anticipation of yet another minute of silence for another fallen TiVo devotee?!? ;)

3. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Sort of. I'm still a Tivo devotee, but eagerly awaiting the new version from VM :)

4. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    My second unit has a LT-sub and a TerboNet card in it. The cabinet is in better condition too :p Again, offers via email or PM.

Would rather not post but - assuming I can find a box - it will be £10. Same goes for other unit.

[​IMG]

As you can see, this one comes with some accessories (mains lead, phone lead, 2 remotes) and the front is in better condition too!

5. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...

Advertisements

Well I decided to go the "cold turkey" route and just 'clear and delete everything' without over-thinking it. I am now Tivo-less for the first time in around 8 years :eek:

Two Tivos still available. Will both be going on eBay shortly.

6. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Did you not think about moving your LT Tivo to using a Freeview box. Good for the odd programme clash and for the odd times when the Virgin cable goes down

7. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I could have, but Freeview's a no-go round here. Also, with up-to three tuners available (record two, watch one) there's no such thing as a programme clash anymore ;) Plus my TV service hasn't had a major fault in three years; but thanks for jinxing it :p

8. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Just thought I'd give this a bump.

Actually, I'm a little concerned. When Tivos come up for sale on here they're usually snapped-up fairly quickly. Not so in this case. I wonder why? Did I put people off with my descriptions or something? :confused:

I am happy to post them if I can find big enough boxes :)

9. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Unless you are desperate for the small amount they sell for why not keep it and use it with your V+ box. It does work ok and certainly it has helped to have it recording when the V+ comes up with the failed to record message. Also the EPG on Tivo is miles better than Virgin. That is at present of course who knows what may be round the corner with the V+TIVO

10. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    You weren't kidding about the "small amount of money". Jeez! Fifty Quid? For a LT-sub'd box (so it's worth £200 at that!) plus a network card. :eek: :(

So... awaiting a sensible and more realistic offer. (Why do I have a feeling I could be waiting quite some time?!)

11. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    A check on the bay reveals completed listings for...
    a 1TB LT with cachecard sold for £200+£15 = £215
    a 250GB LT going for £75+£9.50 = £84.50
    a 120GB+80GB LT with 2 remotes and Tivonet going for £56+£7.99 = £63.99
    and a suspected faulty modem LT unit for £29.99+£17.50 = £47.49.

So considering saving 10% or so in fees £50 is pretty low but not that low. I would imagine you would get more if you sold the card separately but I could be wrong.

Good luck with the sale!

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yeah. Just wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

13. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    Frankly, I'm surprised that secondhand Series 1 TiVo's are even worth that nowadays. Technically, with analogue tuners and SCART interfaces, they are now far behind what is available nowadays in terms of picture quality.

Even if one finds Media Center too frightening, there must be better solutions for the less-adventurous user, at least until the Virgin TiVo comes out.

14. Johnbyte

Johnbyte New Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Quite so, iankb, which is why I PM'd a well-intentioned, if naive, offer of £50 to cwaring. I did preface my offer by saying that I had no idea what an LT subbed Tivo would be worth today, and asked cwaring, on that basis, not to think I was 'having a laugh'.

Unfortunately instead of PMing me back with a courteous decline, cwaring chose to express his disgust acerbically in public.

Ah well. It takes all sorts...!

Good luck with the sale, cwaring.

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Because I had not, at the time, decided to decline the offer. I still haven't. I was just hoping to get a little more than one quarter of the cost of the LT-sub, never mind the larger drive and network card also in the machine.

I remind you that I did not mention any names. You did that with this post.

16. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I wonder if I might get more for the individual parts - a 200GB hard drive and a network card - and just sell the Tivo itself for spares. It's a thought.

17. Teepee

Teepee New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    I wish you luck with your Tivo sale but I think you might be better letting it go for parts. I recently bought a 40Gb. one with lifetime subcription on Ebay for £41. The early susbcribers will have had the benefit of their £200 investment if they have had the machine for some years. I feel rather sorry for the monthly subscribers, there is very little chance of selling those machines on Ebay with l/t sub. models going so cheaply now. I would be interested in the Turbonet card, if you are splitting the parts, they are always handy. :up:

18. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yep. I decided to do that when dad decided that he may as well use the Tivo in another room than sell it for that price. So I removed the Terbonet card! It's on 'first refusal' offer to someone at the mo :)

19. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    So... anyone want an original TerboNet card?

[​IMG]

£26 all-in. Payment by Paypal please. Dispatch tomorrow if paid today.

BEEN SOLD

20. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I forgot to re-set the Tivo to use dial-up when I removed the network card. It doesn't reset it when I 'clear and delete everything', does it?

Looks like I'll have to have to temporarily re-fit it to sort it out then. Or remove the drive and use my PC I suppose.

Oh boll......

ETA:
    If the driver doesn't detect the card, does it automatically fall-back to dial-up?