My TiVo finally died - i think!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Glen, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Glen

Glen New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Coast, UK
    Hi guys, have been noticing the occasional stutter from the hard disk, and at the same time the picture and sound go wafety, so i thought i'd try a reboot but no joy! On powering up the tivo i get a black screen with the receiving light on!!!! Help!!! lol :(

2. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Sounds like your diagnosis could be correct :)

Have you checked the IDE and power cables to the drive?

3. Glen

Glen New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Coast, UK
    yeah, i have! first thing i did! gave the fan a clean out as well and tried TiVo Kickstart but nothing! I'll be buying a new 250gb pro configured hard disk shortly but dont get paid till friday so i can't afford one until then! That's a whole week without my TiVo!!!!!

4. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    If your drive is still functioning why not create a backup and by a regular drive instead of spending the extra money on a pre configured unit?

5. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    It doesn't sound like it is functioning :eek::eek:

6. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    The tivo not booting does not mean the drive has completely failed.

7. Glen

Glen New Member

May 9, 2004
    South Coast, UK
    Its not functioning! It won't even allow me to run kickstart on it! I powered it up with the case off and you cant even hear the drive spin up anymore! I am still grateful though, as by the time i noticed TiVo and learned what one was they had stopped making them, but i was lucky enough to get a brand new, sealed one with the single Quantum Fireball 40gb drive instead of the 2 drives in, plus the fact that it has worked flawlessly for what must be 5 or 6 years now! When i get my new drive installed i presume i have to rerun guided setup?

8. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    It sounds pretty terminal to me :(

Have you tried mounting the drive in a PC? (don't let it boot into Windows though!)

Yes, you will have to re-run GS. If you get your drive from one of the better suppliers;) it will go straight into that when you first start up the TiVo.

9. noviceuser

noviceuser New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    I have a similar situation with my TiVO. I bought my Sony TiVO in 12/2001 SVR 2000. It had been working without any problem until a few weeks ago when the screen froze and was not responding to any signal from the remote control. I turned the power off and tried to reboot. Unfortunately, it did not retoot itself and the hard disk made a strange noise when I tried to reboot. I think the hard disk failed. I guess I should feel lucky that it lasted this long. A Sony Customer Service representative told me that I had to ship it back to somewhere in Penn to get it repaired and the approximate cost of out-of-warranty repair will be about $160. The only benefit for repairing it even for $160 would be that I could get to keep the life-time service feature, i.e., no monthly fee. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do? We still have an analog. old-fashion CRT TV at home and do not need a fancy HD TiVO. I was thinking of buying the least expensive new TiVO, which I found on the web for $150 which includes one year free service. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what would be my best course of action? Does anyone know a shop in the SF Bay Area (where I live) who can fix my TiVO?

Thank you for your assistance.

Noviceuser

10. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

UNfortunately, this is a UK forum so not many will be able to answer your question here... :eek:

Try the TiVo help center forum instead.