My Tivo experiment.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by schatham, Jul 15, 2020.

1. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007

Advertisements

Lots of speculation about what happens to a deactivated Tivo. So I'm running an experiment, just for fun.

Tivo Bolt Vox, currently set up guide for antenna and only used for cable before. I did guide change over before canceling and filled up the Tivo. I don't get good antenna reception so to me this is like a VCR with lots of show and movie videos on the book shelf. I don't care if it bricks as long as My Shows still work. Although having the Mini's work is nice.

I disconnected internet before canceling. It's been 32 days since my last connection. Tivo still reports account in good standing. Below that it C071420, which I thought meant the Tivo would brick on that date.

I did get one message about 30 days since last connection and Guide info has run out. Mini’s still work and manual recordings still work. All settings not needing internet work except no guide data.

Mini's are connected via Ethernet using an old router not connected to the internet.

I also just updated the clock by disconnecting after clock connection.

I will update if anything changes or in 30 days.

tommiet, wizwor and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  2. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I'm in! Just pulled the ethernet cable from my Tivo HD. Will wait to cancel my service after I see what happens next month. As long as I can do manual recordings, I'm good.

3. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Update: Today manual recording and the Mini stopped working.
    My shows still work on the Bolt.

New Update: Manual recordings now working again, but no go on the mini.

Experiment to continue.

If Tivo ever gets ON Demand and IP channels I may be back. tivo rip.jpg Otherwise goodby Tivo, we had a good run. 2005 to 2020.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  4. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Probably would not be able to change a Mini from one TiVo to another disconnected TiVo, right?
    So, you attached your TiVo to The Internet and initiated a TiVo Service Connection then unplugged once Setting clock changed to Getting account status? Is your clock drifting? I wonder if the clock setting process would work if the TiVo service went away. Might be interesting to connect your TiVo to the internet via your second router for your next clock update then look at the logs to see where the clock update comes from the block TiVo source addresses on your router to see if the time update continues to work. Good luck with your experiment.
    I only just learned this was a feature reading these posts. Pretty cool if this works. All my TiVos are 'all in', but this bodes well for Life After RiVo.

5. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013

Advertisements

I'm guessing the Minis stopped working when they released their tuner on the TiVo. What happens when you attempt a manual recording?

6. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Did you try rebooting? As I said in the other thread, some guy turned his on after six months and manual recording was back working, though the clock had drifted 16 minutes. Don't know what model he had. Might be worth a try to reboot.

7. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    That worked for manual recording

Mini won't work, shows a circle and slash greyed out on Bolt.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  8. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Ah! Exxxxcellent. Keep us updated if there are any issues with manual recordings, if you wouldn't mind.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    So in other words your experiment told you what almost everyone here on TCF would have told you, there's a reason its called "boat anchor mode" when it no longer has a subscription, it turns off network access to it (thus no mini's kmttg, pytivo, etc) and you no longer get guide data, you can do a manual recording and watch what's already on it.
    It's also long been known that if you block it from getting to Tivo.com before your subscription expires the unit goes into a "maybe I should, maybe I shouldn't" mode where it's not sure what it should do.

I appreciate the effort you took, but this is all stuff that's been brought up here for years and you've been here for it, there's no new magic.

trip1eX likes this.
  10. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Digital VCR mode might be a better description. I, for one, learned something from these posts (except yours).

11. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Silly ignorant person. You can't learn anything that the rest of us don't already know, so why bother? And no one should ever try to do anything, because it's all been done.

samsauce29 and wizwor like this.
  12. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    WOW... It's a amazing to read the negative comments on schatham's testing. I enjoyed reading his testing and comments. If you feel this is same old stuff, please skip the thread and move on to drinking more TiVo Kool-Aid.

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The "boat anchor" mode is the classic verbiage that came from the Tivo representatives on the forum over time, it's part of our shared Tivo history.
    Harsh, but we have one of the greatest repositories of Tivo knowledge and Tivo experienced people here at TCF, to just ignore that and decide "hey no one knows this, so I'm going to solve the issue!" is my criticism, all these items have been repeatedly covered over the years here.

As someone that has had to endure regular mansplaining in the workplace on projects I led, I pay attention when people ignore the knowledge around them and just redo the same work.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana

mschnebly, WVZR1 and JoeKustra like this.
  14. wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Or you could just move on to a thread that interests you.

Family likes this.
  15. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Tell that to the TE3 vs. TE4 warriors.

16. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    That holy cause against the enemy must be fought on the beaches, in the fields and in the streets, and in all threads where the evil invader may be arrayed against us.

17. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The only "speculation" I've seen about the subject of this Original Post has only come from those not truly familiar with TiVo, not the great many knowledgeable people here who already knew the answers to the supposed "speculation" in question. Countless other threads (and I mean very recent ones, as well as older ones) where all this "speculation" has already been answered OVER and OVER and OVER again, politely to those just asking. But if one wants to waste their time in experiments and elucidate us as to that already repeatedly documented on this forum, so be it, I guess. There is a lot such an experiment will leave out from some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum can have more to say on the subject, and I'll listen to them--who have proven themselves every time over YEARS--instead of an experiment from the perspective if someone who seems not to have known any of this stuff to begin with, and count his results under "been there; done that."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    dianebrat likes this.
  18. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    schatham.... Can you please do some more testing and post the results.... That should send the "chosen ones" over the hill.... :D

wizwor likes this.
  19. schatham

Mar 17, 2007

Wrong! Everyone states that manual recording does not work, so far it does.

20. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    See post 19.