My Tivo experience so far...if anyone cares :)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by aslamma, Jul 3, 2008.

1. aslamma

aslamma New Member

Jul 2, 2008

Advertisements

So far, here is what I have to say.

---Issues:

Cablecard : Just a pain, still waiting on them and hoping the install goes right. On yeah, and I get charged 2 x $3 / month since they don't have multistream cards.

No PPV : Not such a big deal and amazon unbox seems to be worth looking into anyway.

Annoying issues that my old moto DVR did not have:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=350354&highlight=guide+recorded

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=398269

---Good stuff:

-Download music videos, unbox, etc was a pleasant surprise.
    -I like how Tivo thinks about what you might want to watch and automatically records it...neat feature.
    -Good interface for the most part, but still worse than my old DVR because of the issues noted above.
    -Maybe its just me, but the picture quality on analog (still waiting on cablecards) is significantly better.

---Initial conclusion:

Dissapointed, but mainly because my expectations were probably too high. A few quarks in the interface are very dissapointing because I thought that was Tivo's big thing. The cost is relatively high at $13 (for now) +$6 = $19/month + box + usb wireless. The main reason I had to get away from the motorola DVR was constant delays and so far the Tivo has been flawless. I am concerned with others reports about freezing in HD, but I will have to see once I get the cablecards. So my final conclusion is that I am glad I went with the Tivo, but just barely. Knowing what I know now, I could probably live without the Tivo just as easily. But that may change once I become more familiar and find some good workarounds.

2. sathead

sathead Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Things I learned from my TiVo-HD CC install: DO NOT LET THE INSTALLER LEAVE UNTIL YOU VERIFY YOU GET ALL THE CHANNELS YOU PAY FOR. A SPOT CHECK OF ONE OR TWO ANALOG AND DIGITAL CHANNELS IS NOT SUFFICIENT.
    My Cablecard installer left with only a handful of analog and unencrypted digital channels functioning after wrestling with them for 35 minutes- he said "the rest will come in later on". Well, two hours later the encrypted and premium digital channels still didn't "come in" so I spent the next hour on the phone with Cablevision support getting the problem solved myself. When support asked why I didn't check all my channels before the installer left and I quoted them the "the rest should come in later" line.... the girl literally bust out laughing. She told me "that's a new one" and "you could wait till next year and they would have never come in on their own".

The one bright spot in my install saga- I got the $48 CC install service charge reversed on my bill cause I had to finish the install myself.

3. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Your cable company shouldn't be charging you for two cable cards, one should be free. Not sure who your provider is but that's how it works with Comcast.

Things that make the tivo experience worth while:

Downloading movies/tv shows to your PC and streaming them to your Tivo via PyTivo.
    Having a party and putting up a slideshow for your guests.
    Archiving shows from your Tivo to your PC - then burning them to disk.
    Playing a nice game of wordsmith, skull and bones, or PonyPoker (update this already).
    Browsing Flickr photos on the Tivo.
    Taking a TV break to stream music from your PC to your Tivo.
    Having your season pass catch a show you totally forgot about.
    Tivo suggestion gets a show you never would have thought to watch.
    Tivo Shannan - facebook friend ;)

Once you get past the issues Tivo really is a top notch DVR. You really need to connect it to a PC for maximum enjoyment. Just pray you don't have to reboot every day, week, or month due to video freezing.

4. sathead

sathead Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Cablevision charges $2 for each CableCard and $1.50 "additional outlet fee" because of the second CC. So, two CableCards from Cablevision = $5.50/month.
    I know... it's a money grab :(

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Rate your shows with the :up: or :thumbsdown: , and these *suggestions* get more fine tuned to your liking.

6. AdmiralTivo

AdmiralTivo You talkin' to me?

Feb 25, 2005
    You're going from one paradigm to another. The arrow button usage issue, to me, seems like a non-issue. I've always used TiVo, and it seems natural for me to have my thumb over those buttons when browsing through recorded shows or rewinding live TV.

The guide issue, I'll agree, is a little annoying. But not 1/10 of a percent of the annoyance that I experienced as a Charter DVR user. I've had a Series 2 for years and when making the switch to HD decided to try the cable company DVR before investing in a Series 3. We had that DVR for a month, and by the end of that month even my wife and kids were complaining about it. Missed recordings, clunky season pass interface (heck, clunky interface in general), the thing ran hotter than my '78 Chevy...the list went on and on. Luckily for us, that DVR decided to fail on us at the end of the month and made it easy to go back to TiVo.

Believe me, the more you use TiVo's interface the more you will come to appreciate it.

7. aslamma

aslamma New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Many of those features are great, but are largely useless to me since I have a HTPC that does those functions better in my opinion. Season pass...well I could do that with the cable co. DVR.

I guess for me, there were only a few requirements which were interface and be stable. So I am overall happy...if I did not have a HTPC, it would be leaps and bounds better.

Unfortunately I must use cable (cannot go dish) and it has been a horrible experience for the last 2 yrs. Making the most of the situation by going the Tivo route makes the cable company bearable.

FYI, in case anyone else has the problems with the Moto box (I think almost everyone does), I finally decided to go Tivo after the cable company said they never heard of any problems with their boxes (face to face even). Just seems hard to believe to me since everyone I know has the same issues.

8. VivaLasVegas

VivaLasVegas STeVo HD

May 17, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Funny, the first issue is really about what you're used to. I think a lot of people agree with you, but after using TiVo for years I found the Comcast DVR's way of continuing to show my recording incredibly annoying. I've fallen into the habit of using the Guide button to go to live TV and bring up the guide in a single click. If TiVo ever changes it for you, I hope they'll give us a setting to choose our preference.

I replied in your second thread, but I think you'll find the 30-sec-skip, and instant-replay buttons more useful than FF/RW. Find a way to program those into your universal remote. My thumb always rests on the skip button!

9. aslamma

aslamma New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I think what would be nice is if Tivo made these options as you said. I am surprised at what little customizable options there are. Similarly, when I got windows vista...very little customization for media center.

But my problem with the layout is still that I really want to use the navigation buttons for all of my live/recorded manipulation. I dunno, it just seems obvious to me that would be more beneficial and not to mention intuitive.

Anyway...still good, but could be better with more user options. I think that is ultimately what I am probably looking for.