My TiVo Died: What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JediCowboyD, Oct 4, 2006.

What should JediCowboy do now that his TiVo is dead?

1. Dump the TiVo and DirecTV. It's Books and Netflix for you!

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Find an HDVR2 on Ebay

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  3. Find an R-10 on Ebay

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  4. Wait until the New Year and buy your brother's Series 2 and switch back to Cable

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Oct 4, 2006 #1 of 20
    JediCowboyD

JediCowboyD Nerf Herder

Feb 21, 2002
    Happy...

Advertisements

Count me among the TiVoless. After 3 years of faithful service my HDVR2 TiVo died, and since my TiVo is also a DirecTV receiver, I'm TVless as well.

If you're really curious about the details, I posted in the help forums here. The short story however is that after trying to fix the old hard drives, trying new hard drives, using InstantCake successfully and actually getting the TiVo to run with a completely new drive, the unit hangs frequently and reboots spontaneously. It's a problem somewhere else in the hardware, beyond my skill to repair. It's dead.

So what to do now? Sure, I can get the latest DirecTV DVR, but seriously I'd rather be without TV than use one of those. I'm a TiVo addict. I'm not switching back to cable because, trust me on this, the wiring in my apartment is crazy bad and impossible to fix. (Though I may suck it up if I can get my brother's old Series 2 when he gets a Series 3 around Christmas.) Or I can go Ebaying for an R10 or another HDVR2.

What say you, Oh TiVo Masses? What should the JediCowboy do? And quite seriously, at the moment I'm leaning toward dumping TV service altogether and just using it for Netflix.

2. Oct 4, 2006 #2 of 20
    bobotech

bobotech I'm Registered User

Oct 7, 2004
    Spokane, WA
    [​IMG]

3. Oct 4, 2006 #3 of 20
    JediCowboyD

JediCowboyD Nerf Herder

Feb 21, 2002
    Happy...
    I, honestly, wish I could. Part of the wiring hell in my apartment is that since the place is 105 years old, there's some weird tin (I think) plating over the ceiling. Not only does that make running new RG6 cable really hard, I'm living in a weak Faraday Cage. Now I guess I could use the DirecTV sat wires to bolt an antenna on the roof, but meh, OTA is a PITA.

4. Oct 4, 2006 #4 of 20
    dansee

dansee Sayonara

Oct 23, 2003
    Start a thread titled: "Anybody got an unused HDVR2?"

I gave one away a couple months ago... and I can think of a few others that have left closets and boxes, to live in new homes, thanks to TCF peeps.

Always worth a shot...

5. Oct 4, 2006 #5 of 20
    JediCowboyD

JediCowboyD Nerf Herder

Feb 21, 2002
    Happy...

Advertisements

Now why didn't I think of that? That's the best yet! I've even got nice collection of computer parts someone may want in trade. I'll start that thread or try one of the bartering threads after a while - this thread is still new and rather than clutter up the board I'll wait a bit to do that. Someone may stumble in here and make an offer.

6. Oct 4, 2006 #6 of 20
    Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Find *some flavor of DirecTiVo*, not necessarily an HDVR2, on eBay.

7. Oct 4, 2006 #7 of 20
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I have an HDVR2 I just turned off. I was talking to my sister about selling it to her, but if she doesn't want it, we could work something out, I imagine.

8. Oct 4, 2006 #8 of 20
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Get an S3 and an OTA antenna. That's what I've got. :)

9. Oct 4, 2006 #9 of 20
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Do what I did a couple of months ago, call DTV and tell them you need a replacement. Tell them you want one with Tivo. It cost me 14.95 for shipping and a 2 year commitment.

10. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    Also I think my best buy still has some R10s. You may want to look into it. Barring that, I'd ebay for one and then put your brand new Baked hard drive into it (keep the original one for backup). On a sidenote, my guess is you have a bad power supply on your current one.

11. JediCowboyD

JediCowboyD Nerf Herder

Feb 21, 2002
    Happy...
    I'd be down with that. You can even yank the drives and keep them for your own use - those I have and I don't need more of those. If she doesn't want it, let me know. No rush on this at all, and if she does take it, JFriday's suggestion looks good as well. I didn't know DTV would still have TiVo units in stock. Thanks. I'll make eBay my final option - those units there aren't expensive at all, especially the non-expanded ones without cards. Who needs drives and a card? I have those!

12. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    I think I read that they've run out within the last month or so.

13. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Then get cable and enjoy the thrills and spills of a cablecard install! :)

14. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Wait.. in that case, how do you feel about a Series 1? I've got a Sony SAT T-60 that the hard drive died in. Other than that it works great, never had a problem with it.

I could repair it, but with my move to HDTV I just don't care to fix old DTivos any more. (I have an HR10-250, a Series 3 and a HTPC with 2 HDTV tuners, so I have 6 tuners available. I just don't need more).

15. SueAnn

SueAnn Minion

Oct 23, 2004
    St Charles,...
    I've posted this a few times but more than one store in my area still have Direct Tivos in the clearance section. I think they were $80 the last time I checked.

PM me and I'll head over tomorrow.

16. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I've got a Sony 1st gen without drive. Got the remote too. You can have it if you want. Ever venture south to Balt or DC? My father will be heading to Pittsburgh around Thanksgiving to pick up my aunt. if you want to pick it up.

Frank

17. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Weird because our HDVR2 died after almost exactly 3 years. Good thing it wasn't our main unit and it was just in our daughter's bedroom. I put a regular receiver on her tv until I swapped the hard drive and instantcaked it. Seems to work fine now. She hasn't said anything about it, so I assume it's fixed.

I voted to find an R10 (which is our main unit now), but really, if I were you, I'd just switch to the Directv one (R15 I think). We are going to the HR20 and I've read enough to know that it will be fine without Tivo. I'm actually looking forward to trying something new. My wife, OTOH, isn't quite as excited. But really, she's not an advanced user (just basically watches recorded things), so I'm sure she will be fine.

18. jhoak

jhoak New Member

Jun 11, 2001
    I've got a series 1 DTiVo sitting in the garage with a toasted hard drive and a non functional modem. If you're handy with electronics there are a number of fixes and workarounds for the modem but the HD will need to be replaced and re-imaged.

You're welcome to it for the cost of shipping.

19. tward_biteme1

tward_biteme1 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Maryland, USA.
    PTVUpgrade sells Phillips DSR704's for $69.99 without hard drives or cards....

20. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Try Wal-Mart - many of them STILL have new R10's in the box for $100!
    Also, weakness still has new ones as well, but they'll cost you some more - but if you REALLY want a genuine D-Tivo... ;)