My tivo died - is it hdd?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bneufelder, Jul 30, 2007.

1. bneufelder

bneufelder New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    A few days ago my tivo (series 3) started acting sluggish. It would take a while to pull up Guide information, change channels, access shows, etc. Today it won't do anything.

I recycled the power several times and it goes through the "Just a few more minutes", the THX sound and then gets to a blank orange screen with the little search lights. I think this is the background for the main screen but it's totally empty.

It won't go beyond that. Does this just mean my HDD ate it? Are the first few screens running from memory instead of disk? Or is it something else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

2. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    I had a similar problem with my HR10-250 box.

First pull the power plug for about 5 minutes and then plug it back in.

If you get your screen back, see whether it is still sluggish. Mine took about two days after this before it became slow again.

If the slow response returns, try going into the restart menu and clearing your thumb ratings and selections.

Since I have done this, my box has had no more problems.

Even if you don't get your screen back after unplugging it for 5 minutes, you still might try pressing the Tivo button. This may still allow you access to the menus.

3. bneufelder

bneufelder New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    I can't get to any menus... even after power cycling.

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Could be a corrupt/failing drive Is it the original drive? if your TiVo is out of warranty suggest that you unplug the TiVo remove the cover and check the drive connections and Fan. To verify it is the drive you need a PC with a SATA connector now if you don't mind attaching the TiVo drive to it run the drives manufactures diagnostics I think my original drive was a Seagate and you would use SeaTools for both Maxtor and Seagate drives.