My Tivo box arrived!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by freediverdude, Jul 27, 2006.

1. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006

Advertisements

Well I ordered over the weekend, and my Tivo box is here already! And, it's already set up! I couldn't believe, it only took about 20 minutes from sealed box to guided setup completion. It recognized my network right away and everything! Oooh, I'm so excited! This was so easy! Brainwashed cheerleader!! Brainwashed cheerleader!! :D

2. Rosincrans

Rosincrans mad north-north-west

May 3, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Congrats. When I first got my Tivo the only thing on TV was Unwrapped on the food network. I paused it about a thousand times, just 'cause I could.

3. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Yes, I just rewound and fast forwarded CNN :p One thing I really like is that it displays exactly what each program is as you are changing the channel. No more guessing! And Ereth, my very first season pass.....Stargate!! I'm guessing cable company DVRs are not quite like this.....

4. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    all you have done so far is trickplay? Wait until you get to the good stuff... (automatic recordings, wishlists, suggestions, music, photos, etc, etc.)

5. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...

Advertisements

fun, isn't it (and there's a lot more too)? :up:
    --
    Alan :D

6. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Welcome to the Tivolution! :)

7. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    Set up time for Cable Company DVR? 5 minutes, and that's if you don't know what you're doing.

And yes, technically you can do nearly everything a Tivo can do recording-wise, but it's much harder, clunkier, and just plain UGLY. Tivo does have about 10 other features that Cable DVRs can't do.

I love how when you pause a live program the dvr "switches" to the buffer and the sreen goes black for a second. FFWDing to catch up to live TV? Yep, black screen again as it "switches" to live.

It's little things like that, some more subtle, some not so subtle, that make Tivo so far ahead, as far as interface and reliability. Once the S3 comes out, Cable DVR's advantages will no longer be recognized as such, save for the initial cost.

8. freediverdude

freediverdude New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Wow, there's so many features, and this huge book that came with it. It's going to take a while to explore it all. Any tips for wishlists? I guess the best for that is if you know the name of a movie or actor to put in there it seems.

And, I downloaded the Tivo desktop on my computer! But I haven't tried transferring anything yet. When I got up this morning it was recording something, I'll have to see what's on the now playing list when I get home. I loved that introduction with the little Tivo character welcoming you to the Tivolution, that was cute, hehe.

9. etemple

etemple New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Sparkle City
    Yes wish lists are great--if you like a certain actor or director (or sports team) you can program a wish list to either automatically record everything or to just make it easier to find stuff. So I have one for Steve Buscemi, for example--I don't automatically record everything, but searching by actor made it easy to catch movies that are on channels I don't usually watch or reruns at 3AM . . . that kind of thing.

And don't forget to rank your season passes so that the shows you really want to watch get priority over other stuff.

10. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, on a cable co DVR, if the show is not showing in the next 2 weeks (most DVR's guide run about that long), you can't search for it. But on Tivo, if you know the name, you can set up a wishlist and let the little dude do its thing. Tivo's guide is also so much more informative. I can search for my home town team's baseball game by their team name. Couldn't do that on my Comcast DVR.

11. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Wishlists also are great for shows or movies you'd like to see that aren't currently in the guide data but may show up later -- even particular episodes of a show. I use them for sports as well -- you can grab your favorite team or type of sporting event.

Try setting up keyword wishlists for "pilot" and "premiere" -- you can scroll through the results and see when new shows are starting (great in September), or when syndicated shows are starting over from the beginning.

12. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I mainly use wishlists for Directors or Actors. But say there is a show that airs on multiple channels that you want to catch - you can do multiple SPs, one per channel, or just one Title Wishlist. I also do Category wishlists for things like "Interest/Anime", etc.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have like 10-20 wishlists for bands -- just today it caught Huey Lewis & The News on Good Morning America that I never would have known about otherwise.

(ok, really, I ended up cancelling the Tivo recording and manually recording it on my non-Tivo hard drive/DVD recorder so I could more easily edit out just the musical performance.. but that's true for a lot of the recordings that my Tivos' wishlists find..)

14. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    ditto. :) i do the same thing when i want to edit out just a part of a show. i've even used the 'save to vcr' tivo function to dump a show to my Toshiba RD-XS32S for editing (after forgetting to do it like you did).
    --
    Alan :D