My TIVO (240-) is dead, new drive no help

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by beervendor, May 10, 2006.

1. beervendor

beervendor New Member

May 10, 2006
    My TCD24004A has started to freeze up at the Tivo menu and during playback (garbled video, freezes, won't respond to pause/ff/stop, etc). Several reboots didn't solve the problem. Figuring the hard drive was the prime suspect, I took the plunge and sprung for a Seagate 160gb drive. I followed weaknees instructions using mfstools to backup old drive info onto new drive and reassembled everything. Now the unit powers up, shows the "just a few more minutes" splash screen, then appears to crash and reboot endlessly.

Mfstools appears to recognize my new drive as having the correct size before and after backup/restore. My questions are:

1. Any suggestions to check whether the new drive is correctly set up?
    2. Any other parts I should check out (IDE cable? RAM modules?)
    3. Any chance my "lifetime" membership can be transferred to the new unit I'll inevitably have to buy?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

2. beervendor

beervendor New Member

May 10, 2006
    On further examination, the circuit board that houses the power supply has a few areas covered in what appears to be a white rigid foam around some components. It doesn't look like blown capacitors, but not either like anything I've seen before. Normal?

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Normal. Best bet is that your image on original drive is so corrupt that the backup is useless. Get a fresh image for your unit. PM Stan Simmons for a downloading link. Sounds like a restore from a fresh image should get you back in business.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...