My third Bolt OTA just quit working--third machine to do this

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Aitchmark, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Aitchmark

Aitchmark New Member

Apr 14, 2019

Advertisements

I put it in standby, switched off the power strip, unplugged it to move to another room, turned off the power strip in the second room, plugged it in, turned on the power strip... and now it doesn't finish startup.

It turns on, puts the starting up message on the screen, goes blank for a moment.... and then instead of the starting up message reappearing, it shuts off.

This has happened with two other BOLT OTA machines, both of which I exchanged. This is the third

Can they just not be unplugged and plugged in again?

Currently using an older model bolt that was fried by a thunderstorm-- put in a new hard drive and started it up; it's working fine.

2. Darrell Patton

Darrell Patton Active Member

Jul 19, 2018
    When you take the TIVO back to the original power strip, does it power up ok?
    Could be a defective power strip, not performing up to standards.

3. Aitchmark

Aitchmark New Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Different power strips, including a new one, different outlets, and a new power supply from Tivo. All failed to change anything, all three boxes. All three showed the same symptoms.

I've done a a lot of hardware troubleshooting over the years-- checked all the obvious combinations and permutations, and all the non obvious stuff. Not to mention going through the decision tree debugging with Tivo the first 2 times. Third time I just told 'em I wanted a new machine from them; I figure the ones I've been exchanging at a local retailer may have come from a bad production run.