My tale of Series 3 woe

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Chew, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Chew

Chew New Member

Jan 22, 2003

Advertisements

I had been using my Series 3 with a DVR Expander and was starting to see the early signs of hard drive failure. Knowing that the Expander has some issues, I properly disconnected the Expander, did the 3 thumbs down, and the TiVo rebooted. After restarting, the dreaded Green Screen of Death appeared. Unfortunately, the unit was unable to repair itself and would continue to reboot to the Green Screen after a few minutes.

I tried a new hard drive, but that only got one step further ("Almost there...").

I called up TiVo and arranged an out-of-warranty exchange. It arrived on Tuesday and I went through the guided set-up. I had no sooner completed the set-up and the unit rebooted. Uh-oh. This one continues to reboot too and never gets past "A few more minutes".

Called up TiVo again and they were about to order me a new replacement when the CSR saw the original Series 3 used an older cord (which is polarized). He ordered me a new cord (non-polarized) and instructed me to use a direct plug-in (wall) instead of any power strip.

When I got home from work yesterday, I tried both my original TiVo cord and a spare non-polarized directly in the wall. Neither made any difference.

I'll wait until the replacement cord arrives to call TiVo again about another replacement, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope it's going to work.

I've used a TiVo for a decade and this 2 week period is the longest I've gone without one. I miss my TiVo. :(

On the plus side, TiVo has been very helpful through these difficult times. :):up:

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the cord theory (and no power strip) is tha tthe TiVo does not have enough juice when the hard drive spins up and then reboots or gets hung with no correct data from drive - etc...

You could have a power supply going loopy - sadly no way to know that save for replacing it

3. Chew

Chew New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    The replacement power cord didn't work either.

They're sending me another box, hopefully today.