My SP List is getting low, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by IwantmyTiVo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1 of 12
    IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I am fairly disappointed in this seasons television show offerings. Out of all the new shows I tried since the Fall began, the only season pass survivors are Criminal Minds, Ghost Whisperer, and Close to Home. And as I look to the new shows starting, I don't see much interesting there either (Crumbs looks like it may be cute, and I will try In Justice). I will pass on all the American Idols and their wannabees (dancing with stars, skating with stars, etc.)

The only shows that have survived from last season for me are House, Without a Trace, Cold Case, and Numbers.

I was thinking of trying The Shield on FX or maybe Dallas S.W.A.T. on A&E.

Would I be lost if I started watching The Shield this season without having seen previous seasons?

Anybody have any other recommendations for someone who doesn't care for sci-fi, but likes procedural dramas?

2. Jan 3, 2006 #2 of 12
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I've picked up SPs for Dukes of Hazzard and Knight Rider during the lull ;)

3. Jan 3, 2006 #3 of 12
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Based on some of the shows you listed, you may want to give Fox's Bones a shot... Pretty good, getting better show by show.

Commander and Chief isn't "bad", not like the others you listed, but still Okay.

You didn't list the CSIs or the LOs... but i think you are focusing on new 2005/2006 shows.

4. Jan 3, 2006 #4 of 12
    IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005

My son 'records' the three CSIs. I do not like the original one, but if I happen to be around when my son is watching the Miami or NY, I will watch those with him, but they are just ok. I have never tried Law and Order. Would I be lost joining in on any of those right now?

We tried Bones a couple of times and couldn't get into it. Maybe I will try it again when it comes back.

5. Jan 3, 2006 #5 of 12
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Re: L&O... In general, you will be fine. As with any long running series there will be a few things that you may "miss", but usually nothing important to the story line.

6. Jan 3, 2006 #6 of 12
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    definitely check out the Shield and yes there is an over arcing story of interest but they are doing new things this season so will work to keep viewers who are just tuning in

and they run lots of repeats of the past seasons all the time. for catching up I use a season pass for first run shows and Keep Until I delete then a wishlist for first run and repeats below the season pass that is set to keep at most 10 or 5 or whatever works for you. These rotate out and after a while I can delete the wishlist and keep the season pass.

7. Jan 3, 2006 #7 of 12
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Darn, I wish I had that problem. My SP list has grown all year, but I just trimmed it a bit after adding a Sony DHG-HDD250 DVR.

8. Jan 3, 2006 #8 of 12
    Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Considering that you like Cold Case, Without a Trace and Ghost Whisperer, I would recommend Medium. I'm not even that big into procedural dramas or supernatural mumbo jumbo, but I am starting to really like Medium. It's well written and acted imho.

9. Jan 3, 2006 #9 of 12
    MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    Watch The Shied...it's among the best shows on TV...I'd recommend trying to catch up on the back story first though...
    I am also going to check out Dallas SWAT, it looks interesting...
    My favorite of the new shows is My Name Is Earl...not sure if you're into sitcoms, but it's good stuff...plus The Office follows it, it's in its second season, but it's also quality viewing...
    The other new shows that haven't premiered yet don't look at all interesting to me...
    Given that you seem to be into crime drama stuff, you might also want to try Dog, The Bounty Hunter on A&E too, if you haven't already...

10. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I would recommend The Gilmore Girls. You can catch up on ABC Family Channel where they show the reruns. It is a really entertaining show.

11. IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I tried Medium when it first came out, but I became annoyed with the wife-husband interaction..it was too distracting for me. I am hoping that that doesn't happen for me with Ghost Whisperer.

12. IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I have set up season passes for The Shield, and all of the Law and Orders. It looks like the regular L&O is going to be SOL thought. My son records CSI on Wednesday, and hubby records Invasion, so the Tivo is all booked up for that time slot.

OK, so the new Survivor starts on February 2nd I think. Looking forward to that. Has anyone heard anything about American Idol having Wednesday-Thursday time slots in March, or late February? This could really mess us up, as my daughter will want to watch this show (not me, I'm done with 'new' FOX shows). With Survivor and Smallville (which my son records), we will have conflicts here. I personally hope AI and FOX suffers big if the do this (Olympics will also be running at this time).