My Silver R10 is now BLACK! (Pictures)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bareyb, Oct 29, 2005.

1. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley

Advertisements

Well I finally upgraded my Series 1 (Black) to the new model R10. I LOVE it. What an improvement! Pretty much addressed any issues (speed) I had with my previous DirecTiVo but it also created one new one... It only comes in silver and all my other equipment is black. I've seen a lot of interest in a black R10 so I thought some of you might be interested to see how they look painted. The top picture is obviously "before" where I masked off all the buttons and the bottom shots are how it looks now.

[​IMG]

Basically all you need is some masking tape, an exacto knife and some black "plastic paint". If you have ever seen an episode of "American Chopper" where Justin or Nub are painting a gas tank, then you probably know the basics of masking. Just run the tip of the exacto knife in the groove around the buttons and peel off the rest (see picture) I also put a square around the DirecTv Logo just to make it look more factory.

If you get any tiny "nicks" or ragged edges around the masking, you can use a black "Sharpie" to touch up and they won't show at all. The picture below shows the twins back in their rack where they belong. :)

[​IMG]

2. myph

myph New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    I never realized until you posted this just how much silver stands out from all my black home theater components.

3. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    The Silver color really stood out in my rack too. Virtually EVERYTHING in there is black. The two silver TiVos were all I could see through the glass. Not a huge deal, but I do think this looks better. I think the black is kinda "classy" looking. :D

4. roboshh

roboshh New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Looks great! :up: :up:

5. chrishicks

chrishicks Tivo Junkie

Dec 30, 2003
    MI

Advertisements

that looks really good. much better than the sorta zebra stripe look of my stuff.

I have one dtivo on the top shelf - silver
    my reciever on the next shelf - black
    2nd dtivo on 3rd shelf - silver
    svhs vcr below that - black
    dvd recorder - silver
    comcast motorola hd box - silver
    region free dvd player - black
    pioneer ld player - black

6. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    I couldn't stand the look of the PSRV83 Proscan vcrs.:)

7. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Really? I rather like them... Of course since they are black you really don't see them in there with the door closed anyway. :D

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I just put the lid from a standalone 140 series tivo on each of my silver units. No paint required.

9. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    This post is useless without Pictures... :D
    Seriously. I have no idea if you are kidding or not, but if you aren't then post a picture. I bet other folks would love to try if that's for real...

10. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I forget if it's PTV or Weaknees, but someone out there sells extra/replacement faceplates for TiVos. They'll even give pushbutton front panel controls to a TiVo that didn't have it before.

Apparently they're pretty compatible with any TiVo (except series 1s...grrrrr), so it could be another way of achieving what you've done.

By the way, I thought I noticed a very familiar VCR in that unit. Love the Proscan 83 myself. Have two, one actually working. ( :( )

Missed getting an extra remote (the dubbing controls) on eBay, because some foolish person wanted it to control an RCA TV set and VCR. :eek:

I felt like saying "You can get the RCA version of this remote ANYWHERE! The Proscan version is the only one with the dubbing control buttons! Don't do this to me!"

Some people are just SO insensitive! :p

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I'm not sure what good a picture would do, but I have another dead 140060 on order, and I'll take pics when I install the outer parts onto my last silver Samsung 4040 next week.

12. DPMGR39

DPMGR39 Addicted To Tivo

May 21, 2005
    Georgia
    I have so many electronic devices it useless to try to keep them all one color.

13. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Tre Chic!

14. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    I have an HR10-250 that is going to get that treatment as soon as my Media room is finished.

Nice job! :up:

15. DesignDawg

DesignDawg New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Those two directivos are stacked. HOW GHETTO. ;)

16. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    Wow, cool!

17. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    DA50ES?

18. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    very very nice.
    My dTivo is the only silver piece of equipment I own. Thankfully it's pretty well hidden by the door in my Entertainment Center.

19. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    You are correct Sir. You have a good eye for the classics. :D

20. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Well, I've had mine for 7 or so years and have found no real reason to replace it. One of these days I'll have to get a new HDTV to replace my similarly ancient 36" XBR2 and will likely get a new reciever with HDMI switching and HDMI/component upconversion. I have replaced the DA50ES' LCD remote control with a Harmony 880 though. ;)
    I hate the new silver components though. :( Good job on "fixing" yours. :up: