"My Shows" Suddenly blank, & Tivo says no internet connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Gai-jin, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Active Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Quad City...
    My TiVo Premiere is suddenly having issues. The "My Shows" menu is blank, other than the recently deleted folder. Across the top of the screen, there is a message that the tivo can't connect to the internet. When I try to go into other menus from tivo central, such as to reboot the tivo or check network settings, it just takes me back to the tivo central screen.

We tried power cycling the tivo, but it came back up just the same.

Any suggestions?

2. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    Customer support is aware of this issue and is working on a knowledge article for it. Check with them via chat or phone and they should be able to help you quickly.

3. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Glad to hear that there is help coming for this. The other day I moved one of my Premieres to a room without wired ethernet. I used the TiVo wireless G adapter. The TiVo booted to the same screen Gai-jin described. I couldn't get to the settings screen (or any other) to set up the WPA key for the wireless adapter.

I ended up running a long ethernet cable to the TiVo, while the wireless adapter was still plugged in. This let me set up the key, and I was able to switch to the wireless adapter in the network menu before unplugging the ethernet. Worked fine after that.

4. igmato

igmato New Member

Jun 23, 2011
    try this! when your tivo has internet connection go to settings and switch from high def menu to standard def. you will not have the new manu features but it will work without internet.You are safe to reboot, it will stay in this mode till switched back.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I hope you're not saying that the knowledge article will be the extent of the remedy. My neighbor just had this issue and I'm the one who convinced him to get Tivo (now he has 2 standalone Tivos - 1 of which is the Premiere). Anyway, he removed the network connection for a while because of the need to network something else in the area (needed to get a switch). When he removed the connection he had the same issue as the OP. I had to stop over to help get him straightened out.

I don't think that the Tivo should behave this way or at the very least it should let you know that you will need to revert back to the SDUI in order for your Tivo to work again. It's bad when you can't even play pre-recorded shows from the HDUI without a network connection.

6. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Active Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Quad City...
    I called tivo support the next day, and this was pretty close to the fix. The only thing is, there was no way to get to the settings menu (No menus worked, when I tried to go into settings, it went back to tivo central.) There was a key combo to hit to turn off high def menus, something like thumbs up thumbs down enter enter pause, but I didn't write it down and this was a few days ago, so that's probably not exactly it.

After turning off the high def menus, the tivo was functional. They did explain that this was caused by a software update, and that when the tivo rebooted after trying to apply the update it couldn't connect to the network (or not quickly enough). Turns out the linksys switch the tivo is connected to had hung, so I rebooted the switch to get connectivity back to the tivo. Then I had to force a network connection and reboot before turning the high def menus back on.

Sorry for not replying sooner, when I called support there were no responses here, and I didn't get back to follow up until now.

7. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    I certainly hope this gets fixed with a software update too! In the meantime, CS has published their article. It states:

If a TiVo Premiere box is not connected to the network when it powers on or reboots, you may be unable to access some menus, including the Messages & Settings. Once you’ve restored your network connection, it can take up to 15 minutes before affected menus are accessible. Standard Definition Menus are not affected. If you need to access the Messages & Settings menu to make changes you can switch to the Standard Definition Menus by pressing 'Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Pause, Pause' on your TiVo Remote.

8. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Active Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Quad City...
    Well, it's been a couple of months since the last post, and I'm still seeing this issue on a fairly regular basis. (Construction in the area, power outages from time to time as they are working on the lines or such.) Any word on a fix for the issue yet?

9. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    I know a patch update is going out now but I don't know if it contains this particular fix.

10. squirrelly girl

squirrelly girl New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Just chiming in that you're not the only one -- we're suddenly having the same issue with our Premiere (purchased new in April 2011). We did have a power outage this afternoon, but our internet has been back up and running for hours now. Thanks to TiVo Jerry for the non-HD menus trick -- now we can at least watch our recorded shows! :)

11. pellky

pellky New Member

Oct 3, 2011
    did the thumbs down/up/pause/pause thing, still cannot access Settings. Spent 2 hours on the phone with support, they are telling me to send the box back. It's not even a year old. Is there anything else I can try? Have rebooted router, box, adapter, everything. Laptop works fine off this connection, why not TiVo?

12. Maris

Maris New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I am having this problem too. I really appreciate all the suggestions, I'll try them out and see what works. Does anyone here happen to have any experience with video production? If so, I could really use some help with a project that I am working on. Please contact me if you can help. Thank you