My Shows listing Plex Archive

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jkfurman, Nov 26, 2018.

1. jkfurman

jkfurman New Member

Oct 21, 2018

Advertisements

I have several tv series stored on my LAN that I watch using Plex on the TiVo (experience 4). Is there a way that I can set my one pass settings to include my Plex listings so they appear under My Shows like Amazon and Netflix does?

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No.

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    That is a feature I have been asking for for a long time. It could be done. The data set is there in plex.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    They’d have to rewrite everything. The data you see for Netflix and others is done on the server side not on the box. They would have to have the box do the work they normally do on the server. Including the mapping of plex shows to the rovi indexes.

It can be done but they would have to determine if it is worth it for a handful of customers. And then what about plex “channels” and even the plex live tv and dvr functions?

At best it would be limited.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston

Advertisements

Plex already stores the IMDB and TVDB id codes. Rovi could suggest Plex store the Rovi id code or do lookups between the two. Its actually Rovi that indexes and supplies the id codes they use for Amazon, Netflix etc. Not the services. Amazon uses gracenote, not rovi. Not sure about Netflix.

My point was that for a given series, Tivo could place a bookmark in the shows listing based on TVDB id code query Plex if its available. Yes, a small part of this would need to be on the Tivo client end but much of the my shows list is already processed and indexed on the client end now.

Set a season pass including streaming media on your tivo and the episodes show up in your shows list when they become available. Just as they do now for the other streaming services. Its not an insurmountable task and indeed would work exactly the same as it does for online content now.

If not tivo, then perhaps Amazon will add this integration to the FireTV service like they have done with OTA for the recast. Sooner or later someone is going to integrate the various available sources, including a plex server, OTA and streaming services in one shows list. I hope its tivo but if not, it would then be time to move on.