My setup any room DVR & music

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Shanezam203, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1 of 42
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Rather than using the multi-room viewing, I have my Tivo HD wired to 5 TV's and use an RF extender. :)
    I have the Tivo in my closet in my bedroom wired to an HDMI splitter, then cables run in the attic to each room.
    (living room, basement, office & bathroom)

It works well because I live alone, but the TV's also have regular cable input if anyone wants to watch something other than what my Tivo is displaying.
    I enjoy playing music with Pandora in multiple rooms, pausing the Tivo on 1 remote pauses it on all TV's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :cool:Shane

2. Jul 1, 2011 #2 of 42
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Nice.

If only...

:)

3. Jul 1, 2011 #3 of 42
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Nice setup! I'm jealous. Makes me wish I had done even MORE pre-wiring than I did.:rolleyes: And I pre-wired a bunch.

This weekend, I'm going to try to take the HD feed from the bedroom S3, split it, and send it to the kitchen TV (13" HD flat screen). HDMI over CAT5. We'll see . . .

4. Jul 5, 2011 #4 of 42
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    How did your setup turn out?

5. Jul 5, 2011 #5 of 42
    Grappa

Grappa New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I wonder why didn't you used projector rather than Plasma TV? The screen area could be even more impressing in the living room.

6. Jul 5, 2011 #6 of 42
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I am not that well versed on Projectors, I may look into them some more.
    The living room area has 3 big bay windows and at times alot of Sun coming in.

7. Jul 5, 2011 #7 of 42
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So you're talking 5 TVs and one TiVo?

Can you just wander from room to room with the remote in your hand?

(sooner or later I'm going to regret seeing that picture of the TV in the bathroom :) )

8. Jul 5, 2011 #8 of 42
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What's that arcade machine?

(Live, Laugh, Love? and you live alone?!?!?)

9. Jul 6, 2011 #9 of 42
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    You can... But there are Tivo remotes in each room. They communicate with the Tivo unit in my bedroom from any room in the house using RF in the battery. :up:

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Forgot to order one part.:eek: I needed a connector for the CAT5 cables. I didn't want to face the store crowds, so I found an Amazon Prime seller for a $2 part.:eek:. Still waiting on it . . .

11. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I have a 2nd Tivo HD in my spare bedroom I use for conflicts...
    I can transfer some recordings to my main Tivo (that is in all rooms) but can I split that adn output that to my bedroom TV also on a 2nd input and toggle to it quickly to set a conflict?

I can wire it easily, but how do I handle 2 Tivo's (in seperate rooms) and RF?
    I don't really want 2 remotes but I will.
    My Glow remote has DVR 1 and 2, how does that work exactly? :up:

[​IMG]

12. nexter

nexter New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    wow your setup is beyond awesome lol good job

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    DVR 1/2 work, becasue each is programmable to a TiVo remote address (0 to 9; 0 is a global "all units" address), and the TiVo is set to respond to that address, or 0 (same as the remote, is a "all address").

14. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Interesting, thanks. I mayyyyyy work on my 2nd DVR to handle conflicts UNLESS anyone thinks a Tivo update is coming to address it? :eek:

15. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    A TV in the bathroom? Really? Even I am not that decadent. :)

I also don't allow any TVs in any of the bedrooms except the guest room, but I do have 3 TiVos. I much prefer multiple receivers for several reasons:

1. I frequently have people watching different recorded content in different rooms.
    2. On the very rare occasion two tuners is not enough to record what I need, the extra TiVos provide up to four additional tuners.
    3. The recording preferences are different in different TiVos. For example, my roommate only sets her recordings on the livingroom TiVo.
    4. If one TiVo fails, I still have two working units until the failed one is fixed.

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    A front projector is not a good choice where the lighting cannot be controlled. Even a rear projector suffers considerably when ambient light is excessive. I have a 140" screen illuminated by an Optoma HD81 DLP projector in my theater. The theater has no windows. I would not even consider such a setup if I could not at least blank out any windows with opaque shades and drapes.

17. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's not decadence, that's efficiency!

18. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Or maybe just addiction. Please, either way, I do not want to know what gets watched in there. :eek:

OTOH, the toilet paper roll seems a most appropriate and completely sufficient comment upon much of what is shown on TV these days.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    The OP lives alone so no issue there.
    I have 4 kids so agree with you that one 2 tuner TiVo would be a nightmare of conflicts.

Myself I can deal with loosing shows, but I do have high value shows (eg my wife would hurt me if they were lost) I do record on multiple TiVo DVRs.

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    So do I, pretty much. I have a roommate, but she isn't around much. I do have friends and family, however. When they come over, there are often 2 or 3 TVs going.

The situation only rarely pops up here, but it does pop up. I can see how reserving one Tivo mostly for kids' recordings would save a lot of headaches.

...And for some reason you don't like that? Strange. :D

If nothing else, suggestions are cranking away on all three.