my screen is black when i set up my video on my tv.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tbyce, Aug 21, 2007.

1. tbyce

tbyce New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I have an old tv, I don't have red,white, yellow lines. I also have a modem that is hooked to my splitter, and then goes to the in on my cable box. I have a modulator that I am using also. Everything seems to be working, until I try to change channels on my tv, when its recording. My tv doesn't change channels, it is doing it from my cable still, which interferes with it when I am recording from tivo. I think it all boils down to my tv not having the connection. I'm not sure. Can some one give me some pointers. Thanks .... tbyce

2. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    What are you using for the channel changing of the cable box... you would either be using seriel connection or the IR transmitter?

One of the two of those is what you need to work with to properly change channels on a cable box.

3. tbyce

tbyce New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    IR transmitter. Tivo series 2 80 hour is what I have. I have a local cable company. My tv does not have the red, yellow, and white cables though. It will not let me change to the svideo/to get to my tv to change channels. It is still changing through my cable box, and that messes up my recording shows. It is digital cable. Thanks.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Your TV's remote should be set to control the TV's tuner, not your cable box's tuner. What brand/model cable box do you have? Which remote control are you using (TV's or cable box's)?

5. tbyce

tbyce New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I have a motorola cable box. I dont have the tv's remote. My cable remote works my tv. I have it programed for my tv also.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    How do you switch the cable box remote to control either the TV or the cable box?

7. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    So the red/white/yellow wires come out of the cable box and into the Tivo and then the red/white/yellow out from the Tivo goes into the modulator?