My remote was disgusting

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Chico, May 29, 2020.

1. Chico

Chico New Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    It took getting a new Mini Vox for me to realize how dusty and dirty my Romio remote was. Ewwwww. I removed the batteries and wiped it down. Had to really go crazy scrubbing between the keys. In the time of Covid, so much better. Used Windex Electronic wipes like these:
    https://amzn.to/3dfQeUN

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    You should see how bad remotes get that use the soft touch plastic. Pulled my old monster harmony remote out of storage and it's all sticky. Turns out quite a few things with that soft touch can get that way. And it's a ***** to get that off. Almost easier to separate everything and soak the plastic in degreaser for a few hours. Or put the steam cleaner to it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have many remotes. When not in use I place them on a piece of shag rug upside down. They all look perfect. With four different Peanut remotes, I use a small piece of post-it or tape on the back to identify each.

4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I dampen a paper towel or use a lens wipe, keeps them all squeaky clean. Didn't you notice over the course of months or years it was getting gross every time you touched it?

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Sometimes, I just throw my keyboards out and buy new ones, because they get so gross.

6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I just noticed an otherwise decent tea kettle I bought a few years ago has one of those disgusting rubbery knobs on the lid that has gone all sticky. I keep trying to remember to take it off and turn a wooden substitute on an improvised "lathe" using a drill. (Not a single other part on it is made out of that junk).