My Premiere XL Is Dying

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TrueTurbo, May 15, 2010.

1. TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR

Advertisements

Sadly, the freezes and reboots that started happening with my Premiere XL have escalated. For a while, the reboots only occurred when the XL was doing multiple things at the same time like playback, recording and downloading. As of today, the XL is rebooting every 10 mins, like clockwork, regardless of what it's doing! :(

TiVo support say it's a hardware issue and they'll be replacing the unit. I got a little over 1 month of trouble free usage out of the XL before it started this freezing and rebooting malarkey. Sadly, I have about 95 hours of recordings on the hard drive that I might not be able to transfer off because it reboots every 10 mins!! I say might not because at the moment, it looks like TiVo Desktop is able to continue transferring a show once the XL has rebooted after a crash. If the shows do transfer correctly despite the reboots, I'll just leave TiVo Desktop running for however long it takes to copy off the recordings and I'll exchange the XL once I have saved the recordings. With a reboot every 10 mins, it might take a while! :D

2. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Sorry to hear. This is why I have been requesting, for many years, that TiVo add the ability to backup settings, ratings, and season passes to USB flash, network, or "cloud". I know it wouldn't help much about losing the existing recordings, but I would gladly lose some video (most of which can be re-recorded at some point) than have to spend HOURS re-entering all my programming and settings (plus it really isn't possible to re-enter ratings).

Good luck with your transfers, at least everything isn't completely "poof"!

3. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Condolences...sincerely. Having been there done that....my solution, sadly, is to now keep a back up 2tb HD unit running in the basement with a redundant copy of anything I care about on it.