My Own Worst Enemy, "That Is Not My Son", 11/10/08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jschuur, Nov 11, 2008.

1. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK

Advertisements

Ugh. I give up on this show.

Not only are we supposed to keep track of when he's Henry and when he's Edward, now we're supposed to know when he's Henry pretending to be Edward and vice versa. Any whether one of them knows what the other just went through.

My head hurts from watching this show.

Plus I expect they're going to go all Alias on us at some point and reveal that it's really an evil organization. If the show makes it that far.

2. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I'm really enjoying it.

3. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    yeah, me 2, the OP's "bad points" are things i really like. and i think slater is playing the role perfectly.

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I only got this impression after the fact, so I'll have to wait until next week to check it out, but I think when he's Edward they shoot him slightly from below (so he looks a little taller) and when he's Henry pretending to be Edward they shoot him slightly from above...

5. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia

Advertisements

That's an interesting point. I'll be looking for that. I think CS does a good job of being both characters. One is confident and tough and the other is just an every day guy. Unfortunately for Henry he always seems to wake up in the middle of a gunfight.

I like that they showed us that its possible to "terminate" the agent side of a person and how Edward made sure that would not happen to him.

6. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    I watched this ep, never having seen any others, and felt I was right into it and I liked the way the way that the two identities could play off of each other.

SIDENOTE: In the Knight Rider Rebooted thread I made note that NBC had used two people with moles on the bridge of their nose in two different shows. Now I realize tha NBC has used traditionally sit-com actors in serious roles in two different series- Mike O'Malley in MOWE and Donal Logue in Life.
    Weird huh?:rolleyes:

7. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I liked the episode, and especially the fact that Henry's son is more like Edward than Henry - proving in a roundabout way that Edward is the original.

It's only a matter of time before this "being broken" business gets back to his family, either by putting them in danger or them finding out that he's two different people, or both.

8. TiVo Bum

TiVo Bum Pure Bum

Nov 6, 2004
    This show also gives me a headache but it's a "fun" headache. It certainly is different and, as mentioned many times, Slater is doing a great job.

Just amazes me that Edward and Henry have absolutely no empathy for and truly hate each other. Definitely an interesting take on the split personality vehicle.

9. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    They already hinted at that with his daughter seeing someone that Edward was meeting with.

10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Was this son always around? I only remember the daughter.

And I still think that JANUS' split-personality program is creating more problems than it solves. At the very least, they should have made the cover personality be loners who wouldn't want to get married and have families.

11. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Essentially my original question on the show was along this line. Why bother with split personalities at all? Seems like it would lead to all kinds of trouble for both of them and any innocent lives they might bring into the picture.

12. TivoFan

TivoFan Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Northampton, MA
    Well theoretically it would be the perfect cover identity. Henry Spivey has a complete life and all the convincing details. All of Edward's down time is funneled into creating and supporting the cover identify, far more effectively than he could do it himself.

I have a question about this episode though. So at the end we find out that "Termination" is just the mindwipe of the operative. So why did the fake FBI Guy pull out a gun to shoot Henry? And why did whats-her-name agree with Henry that he planned to kill Henry and dump the body?

13. Robbie123

Robbie123 New Member

May 17, 2008
  14. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Wow, I know this show isn't great but to be canceled over that steaming pile of crap known as Knight Rider is just amazing... :eek:

15. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow, I really enjoyed this week's episode too. I didn't even realize it had been canceled until after I watched it and came here.

It is *definitely* a much better show than "Knight Rider" and they really are putting all of their efforts into the wrong show. :(

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The voters have spoken...

17. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Well that sucks. Burn in Hell FOX, sorry habit, NBC.

I was really enjoying this show. It was the most plausible show on TV, but it was fun to watch. And I enjoyed the cast.

I hope they don't just drop the show, but give it some type of ending. Does Henry get his life back, or does Edward rule the day?

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Considering that they apparently haven't even decided whether to air the episodes they've already shot, I wouldn't hold my breath...

19. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    NBC Sucks :mad:

What the heck are they thinking? Knight Rider??? Apparently intelligent people are not watching much TV these days...

20. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Wow, I guess 4 episodes over 3 weeks plus a skipped week during the election is all it should take to build an audience for a show that starts at 10 PM.