My one TivoHD complaint. Freezing.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Cynicize, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Cynicize

Cynicize New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    I haven't exactly figured out the pattern...but sometimes my TivoHD freezes, and I can do nothing but restart the recorder. It freezes on Live TV. When I go to Tivo Central, then back to Live TV, it's still frozen. I haven't as yet been able to identify if it's a cable card issue itself...but it's really odd.

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    That is not a "one TivoHD complaint". That is a major, showstopping, gullywhopping, kick-ass problem.

How long have you had the box? Has it always done this? This may sound like a dumb question, but when it is frozen on Live TV are you sure it's not just paused? Any response if you hit Play? Anything work other than going back to Tivo Central (guide, channel change, etc.)?

3. Cynicize

Cynicize New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    I don't personally see it as a *major* complaint...but only because it doesn't happen often enough to annoy me, and I've yet to miss a recording. I've had it a week, it's happened 3-4 times. It's not just paused, cause when I go to Tivo Central, then back to Live, it's gray-screened. Nothing works. I'm not wanting to take it back though..since I'll have to pay $16 to remove the two CC's, as well as another $60 to reinstall two CC's. Bleh.

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Never heard of having to pay to remove cablecards, usually they are just moved to the new unit by the cable company tech. If you are comfortable navigating the cablecard menus on Tivo you could try to get the exchange without a tech coming out. Just pull them out, swap the tivo, put the cards in the new Tivo and call your cable provider saying you are having problems with the cablecards and that you think they are not paired properly. Don't mention that it is a new Tivo and they may take the host/data info from you over the phone.

5. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    As I've said in the issues thread, I've had this happen with my OTA digital stations occassionally. However, I don't need to restart the recorder since hitting "skip forward" usually solves the problem. The freezing is always associated (on my end) with severe macroblocking that does not appear to relate to my signal source--in other words, I think it is somehow related to how the TiVoHD is encoding and saving the content off the digital feed. Since its ongoing, hitting "skip forward" would unfreeze it for a few minutes, but since the macroblocking continues, it freezes again sometime later in the show.

This is a problem that just comes and goes. I can go a week without having a show get stuck (or even have significant macroblocking). But when it happens, its severe (and no, not related to multipath--my signal source has been strong throughout these episodes).

6. Cynicize

Cynicize New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Meh...still having the issue. I guess I'm gonna take this back next week...if it doesn't work then, I may have to cancel this one off my account the following week. I haven't missed a recording yet...but I really don't want to take that chance.

I really like the picture quality on this TiVo...but the freezing issue with cablecards is really grating on my nerves. Are there any HD Tivos that don't require CableCards to record digital/HD content? Just curious..

Edit: Nother question...they say in the Tivo manual NEVER to remove the CableCards. Does this F-up the recorder in any way? I ask because I'll be moving, in a month or so, to an area which has Mediacom. I have Cox now. I'm just wondering if this thing will be useless after I move...

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Little hard to follow your plans:

You're going to take it back next week
    You're going to cancel it off the account the following week
    You're going to move it next month

All TivoHDs will record digital/HDTV OTA with an antenna.

Taking cablecards out of the box will not harm it, it just has the chance of messing up the pairing and authorization for the cards with your cable company.

8. Cynicize

Cynicize New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Oh heck with it. I just found out tonight I can't order PPVs over the phone, or online, because I have a cable card. Apparently, you NEED a box to get them. Everything I'd read online said you could get PPVs with a CableCard, you just had to call in or order online. Cox's system apparently restricts you from ordering PPVs unless you have a cable box on your account. I'm not sure if it HAS to be hooked up to your TV... I guess I'll just buy a Tivo when I move and use Cox's stupid box in the box in the meantime. :-(