My new "rating system" for sitcoms for DVR users

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

OK, I've developed a new ratings system for sitcoms based on my DVR usage during the show. It's based on how many times I have to pause the show because I'm laughing so hard I'll miss something:

0 pauses - the episode just wasn't that funny
    1 pause - one real funny scene, but otherwise meh
    2 pauses - 2 real funny scenes...hey, this episode was pretty good
    3 (or more pauses) - a classic episode that had me in stitches. This particular episode actually took LONGER than the network allotted 30 minutes even WITH skipping commercials.

What do you think?

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I don't think we've ever paused any show due to laughing so hard...yet I've watched a great number of what I'd call funny shows.

I may have rewound a scene if we didn't quite understand what the characters were saying ..and we FF commercials...but that's mainly it for our viewing habits.

3. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    "Married With Children" was long before TiVo for me, but I think some of those episodes might have hit the 3 pause level, and a good number would have hit the 2 pause level. That's about it for me in terms of sitcoms. "Malcolm in the Middle" probably hit the 2 pause level a few times, too.

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    We don't pause to laugh but we often rewind to watch great scenes multiple times.
    We save the episodes as well and watch them over and over.
    The King of the Hill when Bobby started smoking, the Wings when Ray taught Antonio to dance or Antonio lost his dream girl and had everyone re-enact the cause ("and she like me!"), the Corner Gas when Emma ate the whole pie.
    I've got lots of 'em.

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I've never paused to laugh or maybe I have but it's so rare I don't remember.

6. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I think one "bathroom break" pause screws up your ratings. :)

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I only count my laugh out louds and Raising Hope leads in that score.

8. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I constantly have to pause or rewind programs because the wife talks.

9. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Husband talks, I pause so as not to miss any dialogue.
    He realizes I've paused and stops talking to ponder why.
    It dawns on him that he is causing us to miss things and so he stops talking.
    I push play.
    Times infinity.

10. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I rarely pause because I'm laughing but there have been more than once that I rewound a scene because I thought it was hilarious. The only time recently I paused to laugh then rewind and replay over and over was the Halloween ep of Community with the cat flying at them and Troy saying "is someone throwing it???" It makes me giggle now just thinking about it.

11. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I have to pause for the wife, because her hearing sucks so she's forever asking "What did he say?" "What did she say?"

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Time to turn on the closed captions. :)

I know there are a couple of shows (like Idiot Abroad) that we couldn't understand everything the person was saying so we swithc on CC and it helped stopped the "What? Huh? what did he say" stuff.

:)

13. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I can't stand CC - same with subtitles in movies. I find them incredibly distracting.

14. frankmint

frankmint New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Near...
    I won't pause to laugh. If it was good, I will watch again to catch stuff I might have missed. So far, only Arrested Development, Modern Family and Community rate that high.

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    We were the same way...but adapted to them as needed...beats cranking up the TV volume and constantly asking "Huh!!?" "What did he say!!??" or rewinding to figure it out.

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Every British show I watch gets closed captioned.

17. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    I've never paused due to laughing, but my kids pause and repeat all the time if they think something's funny. It drives me crazy. I really don't need to see some stupid joke 5 times to appreciate it.