My lessons learned

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by jeff125va, Jan 9, 2006.

1. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I figured I'd post this in case it could be helpful to anyone. I was having problems with my HR10-250 that had a factory WD 250GB drive and a Maxtor QuickView 300GB drive I had bought pre-formatted from Weaknees. The unit was one of the original units shipped, so going on 2 years old, and it was starting to reboot randomly, stuttering during playback, and I could hear the hard drive clicking. I opened it up and it definitely sounded like the clicking was coming from the A drive (which I suspected anyway since it was about 6 months older). It still had enough life in it that I was able to finish the few shows that I had only on that unit, so it was never really "dead."

So I purchased a new unformatted Quickview 250GB drive from weaknees. I was worried I might have problems backing it up since the hard drive was failing, but it seemed to work fine while doing the backup, and also when I restored it (after I remembered to put the drives on separate IDE channels!) and then added the second drive. But after less than 1/2 hour it started rebooting again, and it would get stuck on the Welcome screen when it rebooted (unless I unplugged it myself). So I tried restoring the image to the drives individually - the 300GB drive that's a little over a year old and the brand new 250GB drive both had the same results - started up fine initially, but had problems within 20-30 minutes. So I was starting to wonder if the hard drives weren't the problem after all. Then I tried it with just the original WD drive that I had suspected all along, and it wouldn't even get past the Welcome screen.

Since that bolstered my suspicion that it was a bad drive as I had suspected all along, I thought maybe the image I had made was corrupt after all, and I tried it with the image from my other HR10-250, which I knew was good. I had hoped to avoid that since I knew I'd have to clear & delete everything, but I had little choice at that point. Anyway, it worked - at least for 8 hours or so before I went to bed last night. I also made a backup image of this unit after it did all the clear and delete and guided setup stuff.

2. mikeny

mikeny New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I'm glad you got it worked out with your 'other' image. Your story is why I wanted to make a backup now while everything is working fine.

3. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Yeah, I'm planning on making them for my SD units as well. I think I have older ones, but would like to update them. Ironic thing is, I would have made one for this unit if I hadn't bought the pre-formatted drive from weaknees in order to avoid having to hook things up to my computer, thought I'd save myself some time, even for a little extra money. I mean, it's nice having that option but it ended up costing me more time and hassle - only because of the dying factory drive, but still.