My issues after one week of using TiVo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rickfriele, Aug 13, 2007.

1. rickfriele

rickfriele New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    I have Cox Cable here in Henderson, NV and surprisingly the cable card install (2 single stream cards) went pretty smoothly. I get all the stations on both tuners.

I do have a few issues though.

In the CableCARD Decoders screen under settings my cards are listed as follows:
    Configure CableCARD 1 (Single-Stream)
    Configure CableCARD 2

Nothing is mentioned about CableCARD 2 being single stream. Is this normal?

I am getting the pixelation issues like other users as well, but it is on both digital stations and analog stations, and also sometimes in the TiVo menus.

On digital stations I don't get the TiVo sounds (pressing guide, fast forwarding, rewinding, etc.) I get the sounds on the analog stations, but not the digital ones, even on a recorded show. I am using an optical audio cable only. Do I need to used the red/white analog cables as well?

Lastly, just today, I had a season pass setup for The Daily Show and The Colbert Report to record only first run episodes. The same episode of The Daily Show (same time and channel) was recording on both tuners. I looked at the To Do list and I see the same episode of The Colbert Report was scheduled twice. I deleted one of them, but then the other didn't record either.

2. stream

stream New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    San...
    Sounds like you got a bad unit. With that many issues, I exchange it, or wait until TiVo fixes the pixelation issue.

3. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    i don't really know if it's normal, but i suspect that it is because that's exactly how mine shows up and i've experienced no problems.
    --
    Alan :D

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Yes. It only identifies the card in the first slot. Because if you had a multistream card in the first slot, there would be no need for the second slot. There will never be a multistream card in the second slot, so there is no need to differentiate that slot.

There is no way to get menu and trickplay sounds when the Tivo is outputting Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 bitstream to your receiver. Your receiver can only accept one bitstream at a time. There is no way for Tivo -- or anyone else -- to insert their sounds in that Dolby Digital bitstream.

If you don't have a surround system, you can set the Tivo to use PCM (stereo) instead of Dolby Digital under Settings -> Audio, and then you will get Tivo sounds on those digital channels. Of course, you'll lose Dolby Digital surround if you do that.

Comedy Central is notorious for its failure to provide flags and unique guide data for The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. This prevents Tivo from differentiating the new episodes from the repeats. I would suggest you create a traditional, recurring, time-based recording for those two programs using Find Programs -> Record by Time or Channel. These recordings will still show up on the Now Playing list just as if you had a season pass.

There are only a handful of popular shows where guide data is an issue , and those two shows are among them. It's the fault of Comedy Central, not Tivo, as that channel refuses to provide the appropriate program information to Tribune (Tivo's guide data provider).

I expect Tivo to release a software update to address the pixelization issue, but if they do not fix it soon, you can always cancel the service before your 30-day trial is up.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    only the first slot can do a multi stream or single stream so there would be no reason to denote it on the second slot. This is normal.

these two shows are notorious for having bad guide data so they would not be good candidates to test out season pass functionality. I have had to set these to manual recordings even on my Series 2Dt TiVo.

The pixellation is the thing to be most concerned about. see the sticky thread at the top of this forum on pixellation troubleshooting and information.

6. psyton

psyton New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    I have noticed this same comment several times recently in different threads - this is incorrect. It may be difficult in "real time", and w/ Tivo's current hardware design possibly unachievable, but it most certainly can be done. It is purely a resource/design issue.

Suggestion: leave out the "or anyone else".

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    There is no way Tivo or anyone else can insert their own sounds into the original Dolby Digital bitstream. With additional hardware, they could decode the DD5.1 signal into LPCM 5.1, mix in their menu sounds, and then re-encode it back into Dolby Digital 5.1. It would be a new, somewhat-less pristine version of the original Dolby Digital signal.

No DVR in production today has the hardware necessary to support Dolby Digital 5.1 re-encoding. Hence, there is no way for any provider to offer that feature at this time.

As I noted in another post, Tivo could decode DD5.1 into LPCM 5.1, mix it with menu sounds, and output the signal over HDMI for those with HDMI 1.1+ receivers. AFAIK, the hardware in the Tivo can do that. However, only a small minority of customers have the HDMI A/V receivers that would be necessary to take advantage of that feature, so it must be very low on Tivo's list of things to do.

8. rickfriele

rickfriele New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    What would be the best video output option to use on a Samsung DLP (model HLP5085W).

9. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    HDMI

10. psyton

psyton New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    No matter how many times you assert this, you're still wrong; you even derive a very crude and inefficient method below disproving this statement. :confused:
    At which time one has achieved the desired goal, inserting sound into the stream; which you said couldn't be done. You proved my point. :confused:
    You didn't say that - you said there is no way to insert secondary effects into the audio stream. Go back and read what you wrote.
    No argument, and goes right along with what I said. I again recommend that, in the future, when referencing Tivo's inability to do this, you limit your remarks to Tivo and the facts.

11. rickfriele

rickfriele New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    No, I mean 720p fixed, 720p hybrid, etc? I have it hooked through component as my receiver doesn't have HDMI.

12. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    There is nothing to disprove because the statement was literally correct. You can't insert sounds into a Dolby Digital bitstream.

I did not say there was no way of producing a Dolby Digital bitstream with menu sounds. You can, but only by mixing sounds in LPCM and re-encoding. That involves additional hardware not found in any STB or DVR available today.

It would have been more appropriate for you to say, "True, they cannot insert sounds into the Dolby Digital bitstream, but with additional hardware, they could decode that signal into LPCM, insert the menu sounds, and then re-encode it to create a new Dolby Digital bitstream with menu sounds."

The point of my post was to convey that the inability to support menu sounds with Dolby Digital output was not a limitation specific to the TivoHD. Your post does the opposite, and in so doing, it suggests something that isn't true. I responded to your initial post to clarify that.

If you feel the desire to argue further, please send me a pm.

Experiment with both to see what looks better to you on SD channels.

13. rhizopod

rhizopod New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Depends on whether you want to use your TV or Tivo for handling the different aspect ratios / upconversions. I have a Mits CRT (WS-55813), and I use "1080i Hybrid". This mode displays the regular 4:3 analog channels as 480p (which the Mits can display natively), and moreover, allows the use of Mits aspect correction (Stretch, Stretch Plus, Standard, etc) which I find to be superior to the Tivo's limited options. This mode also displays all HD content in 1080i (which is what I want since that is the native resolution of my set, which doesn't support 720p).

For your setup:

720p fixed will display EVERYTHING in 720p, whether it's 720p native, 1080i converted to 720p, or 480i/p upconverted to 720p.

720p hybrid will display all HD content (720p, 1080i) in 720p, but will display 480x content in 480p.

I suggest you experiment with both and see which you like better (given that your set is native 720p, which is what I'm assuming).

Also, don't worry too much about HDMI/DVI vs Component. I exclusively use Component instead of HDMI/DVI because my set has been calibrated for component video. Due to the limitations of the controls available in my set, as well as the different colorspace for DVI/HDMI, component looks FAR better than HDMI/DVI (which looks "subdued" with colors "washed out" comparatively), though YMMV if your set is uncalibrated.