My HR10 bit the dust....

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Tonedeaf, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    So my HR10 decided to stay on the welcome screen last week and would go no furthur. I called in to Directv and they are sending me a replacement, which is an HR20.

My question is, with all you can do to the HR10's, could I try and re-install everything onto a new Harddrive and try to resurrect it?

The D* rep told me I would not have to return it and that I could as I please with it since it was not functioning.

If I can get it working before the HR20 gets here, should I just leave the receiver active? What will they say when I activate the HR20 and not disconnect the HR10?

2. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yes you can resurrect. Buy InstantCake and follow the directions. If you decide not to, then be sure to deactivate the HR10 to save the $6/month receiver charge.

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    What they will say is "Oh Goodie! now we can charge Tonedeaf for another PVR outlet", and I'm sure they would be quite happy about that. I assume you have two ports free to connect both? That or the HR20 includes a new dish install?

You do have a couple other options for the HR10, other than selling it. The first would be to try the kick-start routines on Wikipedia, which may not help, but are worth a try. There are also pre-configured HDDs available from 9th Tee and PTVupgrade (forum sponsors) which can take the muss and fuss out of DIY InstantCake-ing it.

4. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    OK so I have the HR10 running again. Works fine and records etc.

Found a 6.3b image and did a restore.

Also received the HR20 and activated it. Disconnected an older receiver where I placed the HR20. The replacement did not include a satellite dish install though. The tech support said would not need it yet.

I guess I need to be sure that the HR10 is shown as an owned receiver.

Wonder if I could finagle another HR20 out of them, would be willing to pay $99.

5. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    So the HR10 has finally bit the dust. I have tried multiple drives and the HR10 has the same symptoms with all of them. It now has breakups of video and audio where a show is unwatchable. Tried changing from the HDMI cable to component and even to composite and still the same. Something internal is kaput. Ready to give up on fixing it.

I called to deactivate and activate an SD Tivo in it's place.

The rep I spoke with said she would be sending a recovery kit to send the receiver back to them. I told her that I had already had this one replaced and the rep at the time told me to do what I wanted with it and they did not want it back. She said she would still be sending a recovery kit for it. Should I call back since they told me they didn't want it back initially. COuld always use the 250gb hard drive for something else in another PC.

6. Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona
    Many including me have solve random reboots and other issues by replacing the power supply board. It's $49 from Weaknees...joe

7. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    Dont dump the HR10 yet. I went the same path as you. Mine died and I got an HR20; also got the new dish. After 29 days, I had could not put up with it anymore. So I put in 320gb in my HR10 and the dropouts seemed to occur less often, then ordered a power supply.

The HR20 is sitting in the box until I see many more desirable HD channels and then and only then will I use it as a second source.

I actually may buy another HR10-250 for my bedroom tv since prices have dropped so low. I tried the HR20 in the bedroom but my wife complained about all the lights ( after I dimmed them) and the noisy hard drive, not to mention it was not a Tivo.

8. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Thinking it may be something with the card reader. when I got it running again, there was a message to insert card. I removed and reinserted and was fine for a bit and then started the picture freeze ups etc. I am trying to see if it is just seting well and have tried putting a fe post it notes on the back of it to see if it seats better and to try and rule it out.

I have 2 HR20's activated and I do like them. Would love to get another one for my 3rd HD set, but would most likely have to wait another 6 months as I recently upgraded.

9. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Still had issues after trying to fix again.

Will a power supply from another Tivo work?

I have an SDDVR40 and HDVR2 sitting at home that I could cannibalize.

10. Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona
    I am not familiar with the internals for those two but I'm fairly sure they would not work. The board is only $49, not bad...joe

11. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    When I bought my power supply from WK, they listed many different ones. Check their site.

12. rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City

The PS from the HR10-250 is a 85watt one I believe. The SD TiVo's have lower wattage power supplies.

EDIT; btw, there are other threads about the "Insert Card" message....check around for those solutions.

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    When I sent my broken HR10 back to D* I did not include the hard drive. They never said anything about it.

14. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Do you steal from everyone with whom you do business?

15. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    They trash the units. Why toss a working 500gb drive in a landfill? And since they wouldn't replace my TiVo under warranty, they can go screw themselves anyway.

16. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    So you're only a thief when you feel justified? Just trying to understand because you seem proud of it.

17. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Thanks. Will try the eraser tip.

Other than that, not much else to do. Not looking to spend anything furthur on this as I initially got it for free anyway.

Only reason I asked about PS working from other models is the picture shown on Weaknees looks almost the same just rotated a bit.

PS that I saw were $69 not $49.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

18. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Tried the eraser tip and didn't do anything to fix. I did however try a few other power supplies I took out of some SD Tivo's but none of them worked. Got a faint clicking sound out of one and immediately disconnected and nothing out of another.

I re-installed the original PS into the HDTivo and it was up and running last night and this morning with no trouble. Will give it another few days before I go thru the trouble of installing again in my Master Bedroom where I want it.

Thanks again for all of the tips and info.