"My home movies" playback on TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Vidfreaky, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Sep 3, 2006 #1 of 16
    Vidfreaky

Vidfreaky New Member

Sep 3, 2006

Advertisements

I just finished watching this video and I couldn't help but notice the ability to play back "my home movies". Is this a feature that I haven't found that is available in series 2 boxes or just something that they threw in there to confuse us? Is there some way I can add videos on my computer, just like I can add music and photos, so I can play them back on my TiVo?

2. Sep 3, 2006 #2 of 16
    Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
  3. Sep 4, 2006 #3 of 16
    greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Just know that it doesn't appear on your Tivo as the video depicts.

4. Sep 8, 2006 #4 of 16
    Vidfreaky

Vidfreaky New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    They should really publicize this feature a little more. I had a computer based PVR and finally got sick of having to mess with it constantly to keep it running and finally got a TiVo a few months ago. This was the feature I was missing the most (other than a random-play-all for the music folder). I figured that I could live with it for how much cheaper/easier my TiVo is compared to my computer. I knew you could transfer videos to the computer but had NO IDEA you could do it the other way.

Thanks for the tip.

5. Sep 8, 2006 #5 of 16
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

Advertisements

you can only playback video that is already in a format that tivo can play.

So it wont play most home movies that come from digital camera's without converting first.

There are a few cam's that make dvd compliant mpeg2 (I assume tivo can handle that) but I think most that record digitally are doing some flavor of DV, MPEG4, or quicktime.

There's tools to convert, I wish tivo would make a version of the PC software to automate it like you can to convert things FROM a tivo to a portable player's favorite codec. I'd pay for that upgrade myself.

6. Sep 8, 2006 #6 of 16
    Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    No need to pay...there are free options. Try Beta 2 at www.tvharmony.com

7. Sep 9, 2006 #7 of 16
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    THANKS!

I've been looking for something!

let me go try...

8. Sep 9, 2006 #8 of 16
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    seems the tvharmony only converts video you donwload from the net? I cant find anyplace to tell it "here's my home videos no convert them to tivo"

also- it doesn't seem to do it on demand from the tivo, but looks like I need to set it up on the PC- I want a control that would allow me to browse my PC from my tivo and then when i select the video it is converted and transferred to the tivo (but not before i selecet it). I think the Tivoserver app does it but that requires me to hack my units and I'd preferr not to since I will be getting a S3 shortly and I assume there's slim to none chance of hacking that anytime soon...

(but maybe the S3 will play my vid's but javahmo or tivo desktop would need to be upgraded to allow the S3 to 'see" my vids...)

9. Sep 9, 2006 #9 of 16
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    check out Galleon for how it works from the HME screen on the TiVo, I know it can do some conversion work but do not know how well it will fit what you want exactly.

The S3 will of course introduce major changes and the Galleon developer is not working it currently so no word on whether galleon will be refitted to work with S3 differences.

10. OvrrDrive

OvrrDrive New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    When this feature first came out there were several threads discussing it. I have successfully used free programs to do the conversion and have gotten it to work fine, but its been so long since I messed with it I can't remember what programs or settings I used.

But I do know I got the information from this forum. I suggest a search.

11. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  12. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    tried galleon- it will only do transcoding on demand for streaming video . Stuff sitting on your PC already needs to be in the correct format....

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    thanks
    but i searched and serached and searched.

Unfortunately it seems that the only way to do it on demand is tivoserver which requires hacked TiVo's.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

vlc will do it too, there's a bunch or things that can, but nothing automated through the tivo HME interface.

15. Stu_Bee

Stu_Bee New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    MichaelK,

Tvharmony
    - Can convert files that are a) on a link in your browser (like youtube), b) videos that are on your PC's harddrive, c) files that are on your Tivo.
    - Can convert on demand, rather than schedule if you have it setup like that (ie quickpick)
    - Has an HME app, that even lets you send tivo shows to your pc from conversion, from your Tivo.

It's beta 2 so some of the options and configuration settings are a little confusing. But they've been improving the interface in the last download.
    You can post in their forums if you have questions on use.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    wow- i posted over there- need to go find my answers. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get content from my pc and convert it to tivo.

off to learn...