My head is swimming Re:Pytivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by scsiguy72, Sep 21, 2011.

1. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    OK I have Windows 7 and want to stream music and move Videos to my Tivo HD

I think I need PyTivo. Most of the talk to me like I am 6 years old threads are 2-3 years old, so the information is foggy at best.

I think I download the files I need

I have

pytron 2.7.2.msi
    pytivo v2008.02.24.exe

PyTivo is unzipped, but I can't find a windows installer version of it.

What do I need to do? My head hurts

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Go to the pyTiVo wiki (Google "pytivo") and then go to the windows installation instructions, which are up to date.

If you have questions your best response will be obtained either in the support section of the pyTiVo forum (Google "pytivo forum") or in the pyTivo thread in these forums:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=328459

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    From jcthornes sig line:

Setup help for pytivo under windows: pyTivo

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There should be a PyTivo.conf file in your Pytivo folder, you can use any text editor (like notepad) to configure. It took me a little while to get mine working but otherwise it works great, I get multiple folders on my tivo from what I have set.

To set up something like music, you can edit/add something like this:

[Music]
    type = music
    path = c:\music

Then save the file, shutdown Pytivo and restart the server.

It should show up in your Tivo under Music, showcases & more.

5. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Well, first he has to get it and python properly installed. After he does that, he can start it and use the browser interface(http://localhost:9032/) to configure it.

6. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Don't overthink it... python installs like any other windows app, then you just need to unzip pytivo to a good spot. Putting it under your user tree is probably the easiest to avoid permissions problems, then you can just run pytivo there.
    If you want to install it as a service that starts automatically, there are some more steps to do and more stuff to download, but just running pytivo successfully is a good start, then you can add wmcbrine's fork and the dvd add on when you're comfortable with that.

7. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    OK I did all that. I unzipped pytivo in the root. (\pytivo)

I ran the pytivoconfig and made a shared directory. Now what? I try to run pytivo, get a dos box that goes by to fast to read and nothing. What am I suppose to see? Do I go to my tivo and look for the shared directory?

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I don't remember the steps so I will let someone else help with that but it took me several attempts over the years to get it working. The instructions didn't make any sense to me.

I finally got it working and it's super easy to manage. The setup was the hardest part.

9. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    open a command box and execute the pytivo.py file manually and tell us the error you are getting. Likely a windows 7 protections problem or a piece of the setup left out but with the error, we can get you moving.

10. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    Thanks

here is a screen shot.

Looks like config issues?

[​IMG]

11. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Yes.

Open up your pytivo.conf file and make sure you have this in there.

Code:
    [Server]
    ffmpeg = C:\path\to\ffmpeg.exe

This is all you need to get going in your .conf file. Point the ffmpeg variable to where you are keeping ffmpeg.exe. Then restart the pytivo.py. Use your web browser to go to http://localhost:9032 to finish the rest of the setup, adding shares, etc.

If you did not download ffmpeg already get it from the pyTivo forum here.

I hope you are not still using that really old version of pyTivo you posted earlier (pytivo v2008.02.24.exe). Download the latest here

I really would use the pyTivo Wiki for help setting this up. It goes over pretty much everything in detail.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Just looked at the wiki instructions and they don't have explicit instructions about pointing to the ffmpeg.exe file. I just edited the manual windows instructions to augment step 4 to:
    1. Suggest looking at the helpful comments in the .dist file.
    2. Be sure to put in the correct path to ffmpeg.exe

I can see how the OP could easily miss this based on the instructions as they were.

13. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    Nice!

Alright. I got it going and it looks good so fr.

Thanks

14. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I believe that pyTivo may automatically looks for ffmpeg in certain designated places without the line but I am not sure where. Maybe \pyTivo\bin\?

I have always found it best just to manually tell it where to find it.

15. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    Little problem now.

I put an *.avi file in the shared directory and my Tivo saw it. I transferred it and started watching it. It was a 30 minute program and the first 25 minutes transferred, then it stalled and would not get any more.

I rebooted the PC and the Tivo and now the blue transfer file light is on and will not go off, and I can see the Tivo shared directory, but it shows as blank. The blue lights stays on even if I turn off the PC.

Also I can't get to http://localhost:9032 anymore I get a browser error.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Try finding the partially-transferred program in the To Do list. Select it and then select cancel recording, or similar.

Assuming you have been able to transfer other files completely, this problem is most likely a defect in that particular file. Do you have MediaInfo? If not get it (just Google, it's free). Then load (analyze) the file with it. Select the text view and copy and paste the analysis here. Anyone who would help you fix it will want to know what type of Video and Audio are contained in the .AVI.

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Sounds like pyTivo isn't running.

18. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    You must have closed the command prompt running pyTivo.

Follow the wiki link I posted above to install pyTivo as a service so it starts up with your computer and you will not have to run it from the command prompt again.

19. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    Right...Got it. Much thanks for all the help. It is up and running again.

One last question.

Can I stream music also? What statement to I put in my config file?

I found one thread that said to put:

[music]

type = music
    path = c:\<path to music>

I did and I can't find a music folder

20. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Even when you select "Music & photos" from "TiVo Central"?