my HD is rebooting to GSOD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by scottiep94, Apr 7, 2020.

1. scottiep94

scottiep94 New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Hi all,

I've been a Tivo HD owner for quite awhile now and I've found this community to be a great resource, so I thought I'd come here for help. I apologize for the long post in advance, but I want to thoroughly explain my issue.

Last evening, I discovered that my channel listing and guide data was missing/hosed. So, I went to do a Guided Setup, and when I got to the last stage (where it is "loading info") it gives me a error S03.

So, I tried the Kickstart with the SMART scan and that didn't turn up any issues, and most recently I tried the Kickstart 57 and it got me to the GSOD.

But now it keeps rebooting, going through much of the boot process and then landing on the GSOD for maybe a minute or so and then reboots (continuing the same pattern).

At this point I wouldn't mind doing a complete erase and reset (I'm not that concerned about my recordings), but I don't know how to go about doing that in its current state. I mostly want to salvage this TiVo because it has a large HD in it and I'd prefer to keep using it. I also own a Bolt, so I guess I could put a Mini on this TV, but I liked having the two independent TiVos and this old HD one has a lifetime subscription, so it's not costing me anything but the cable card.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Bad capacitors in the power supply can cause the hard drive to fail and cause multitude of problems.

3. scottiep94

scottiep94 New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    remind me--a bad capacitor can be identified by looking for a bit of a "bulge" on the ends?

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That is definitely evidence of a bad or failing capacitor but you can have bad ones without that symptom. If you've never replaced them, it's a good time to go ahead and do so. I've had to replace them on 2 S3 OLED's and 2 HD's so it's a definite issue with capacitors of the time frame these were produced. Cost is cheap if you can solder or know someone who can do it for you.

Scott

Teeps likes this.
  5. scottiep94

scottiep94 New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    thanks to both of you for your replies.

I've resurrected the TiVo by swapping the larger capacity HD with an old 160 GB drive that was an original TiVo drive. However, I do believe there are two capacitors that are leaking, so I will look into replacing the power supply.

My question now is: can I salvage the large hard drive that was caught in the loop? Is there a way for me to force a erase and install? Or can I assume now that it is shot?

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    When you have repaired the power supply there is an excellent chance that your original drive will boot up just fine.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Well first connect it to your PC and run the manufacturer's long test on it. How old is it as even if it passes, if it's older I'd just replace it with a new 2TB drive.

Scott