My HD 10-250 takes for ever to set RECORD

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cmalberto, Apr 15, 2006.

1. cmalberto

cmalberto New Member

Nov 12, 2005

Advertisements

I have noticed over the last few months that my HD 10-250 takes for ever to set the recording of a show(from the guide or simply pressing record). At least a minute or two before it is all said and done. Same things happens if I go back in and make changes(any type of change including converting recording to a season pass). Any ideas why? I probably have about 20 show recorded and numerous season passes listed. However, some are out of season and nothing records right now. Not sure if it would make sense to try and clean some of these up and add them back later.

Any thoughts on what might be happening and how to correct will surely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mickey

2. JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    Clear And Delete All will solve your problem, but you'll lose what you already have recorded.

Blame it on the crappy old slow 3.1.5f software. Call DirecTV and complain. The non-HD Series 2 units no longer have this problem as they're now running the much faster 6.2 software. Demand that DirecTV hurry up and give us HR10-250 users the newer better 6.2 software.

3. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    20 shows recorded is 'nothing' really and isn't likely affecting the speed. How many SP and WL do you have? My new machine definitely slowed down when i got more on there (or more in the todo list). up to about 80 SP now and yes, some should be deleted probably. If you have some really low number like 10-20 SP then you really shouldn't have too much a slowdown and I dont know what the problem could be except slow interface.

The one thing that may happen is if you can delete a significant number, then you should see a speed up. I can't give concrete numbers because i haven't studied the thing in detail. But whether or not you even have an upcoming show, the tivo must look thru the list of SP no matter what so if you shorten that list, you should shorten the time.

I'd forget about adding SP in the future so i just let everything on (except shows i know were canceled of course)

One other thing i have found. If you do something 'once', i've seen tivo get much faster the 2nd time you do it right away. It's almost like it needed a little push to relearn something. Must have to do with indexing or something..no idea.

PS there is a rumor that 6.2 is coming our way. Choose what you want to believe :)

4. Charlutz

Charlutz New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Columbia, MD
    The other thing to do is try not to have both your tuners on HD channels. It's a lot slower when they are. Just change to an SD channel, hit the down arrow to switch to the other tuner and change it to an SD channel. Selecting record is much faster that way. If you are watching or recording an HD program on one of the tuners, just change the channel on the other one, still faster. If you are recording HD programs on both tuners, well, it's just slow. :)

5. cmalberto

cmalberto New Member

Nov 12, 2005

Advertisements

Thanks for comments and recommendations. I probably have about 17 season passes and 2 or so wish lists. I could certainly clean this up some and just re add next season. I am just lazy I suppose.

Mickey

6. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    My gut feeling is soon, but that's all it is. I don't really expect it to be 6.2 (although it might) but I expect it to incorporate equivalent improvements of 6.2.
    The task of reconciling a database is made exponentially longer if you have more data for it to serially wade through. If you have 10 SPs, or 10 potential conflicts, it looks at every combination one at a time and either flags a conflict or moves on. That's 10 X 10, or 100. If you call that your baseline index, what will happen if you have 20? now its 20 X 20. Twice as many SPs take not twice as long, but 4 times as long as 10. If you have 30, now it takes 9 times as long. So a few added SPs, WLs, and thumbs ratings can significantly affect the time it takes to reconcile all of that using a simple algorithm such as earlier Tivo software used.

When the Tivo OS was first introduced Tivo recorded a maximum of 14 hours, and more than a handful of SPs wasn't even practical (or possible...SPs were added in a later OS up rev). That meant that it didn't matter if you had to use a dumb reconcilliation algorithm where everything gets checked against everything each time. Now, with 100 SPs and 1000 GB of storage not that uncommon, it takes a smarter type of reconcilliation that only checks what has not been checked before, rather than starting a wholesale conflict audit every time. Newer software, such as 6.2, uses a smarter approach to reconcilliation of the DB, so is faster.

That is a perfect example of why computers and HDDs have buffers, so that recent or common instructions can be accessed quicker the second time.

7. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    someone once said clearing thumb ratings speeds things up...no idea as i've never timed it

i have no idea how you get 10 SP = 100 conflicts