My guide is 9 days not 14

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by megory, Dec 29, 2009.

1. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...

Advertisements

I've been monitoring my guide and data on both computers. They both download fully and quickly every day, but the data is never more than 9-10 days ahead.

What's up with that? I thought one of the selling points of TiVo was that it has 2 weeks/14 days of data, as opposed to SA POS with BrightHouse.

What's up with this? Is it BH? Is it TiVo?

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
  3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've had a TiVo for almost 10 years now and it has always been 9-10 days of data. I think some of their advertising says "up to two weeks", but like I said in 10 years I've never seen it have more then 10 days worth of future data. (it also hold 2 days from the past, so I guess they could be counting that as well)

But is this really a deal breaker? Is 10 days worth of data not enough? If something is on too far out for it to be in the data then you can always set up a Wish List for it instead.

Dan

4. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    That seems odd to me. Almost every time I've bothered to check I've had 12 days ahead. Right now I have To Do List items for 1/10 which is 12 days ahead.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

Same here.

In my market, Tribune usually offers guide data for the current day + 13 future days. Periodically throughout the year, such as around holidays, they only offer the current day + 12 future days.

Tribune adds/updates its guide data during regular business hours, and TiVo updates their guide data by 4pm EST. Connect after 4pm EST, wait 60 minutes for the TiVo to index guide data, and you should see information for the current day plus 13 additional days if that is available on Tribune's site.

The typical TiVo user should see information for the previous day, current day, plus 12 days of future guide data. Why 12 and not 13 days? When your TiVo connects to download guide data on Monday @ 11pm (or any time up until Tuesday 4pm when TiVo updates its guide data), it downloads the information for Monday plus 13 future days. When you come home on Tuesday, you only see the guide data for Tuesday + 12 days, because that's the information it has from the previous night's download.

Note TiVo does retain guide information for the previous 1-2 days, depending on when it last connected to update its guide data.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    bkdtv's explanation makes sense. I just checked mine and it goes 11 1/2 days into the future. (the last day only goes to 3:30pm)

The use of a phone line, rather then a network connection, to make the call could make up the difference. IIRC when connected to a phone line TiVos only call in every 36 hours, so it's possible for it to appear like there is only 10 days of data in the guide depending on the timing of the last call.

Dan

7. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    I appreciate the thoughts and explanations. It seemed odd.

At the moment (12/30) it goes to 6 pm 1/11 -- the longest since I've been monitoring. Not too shabby. Both TiVos are WiFid, and I just forced an update on both.

I started when I got my new HDTiVo w/LT, and intensified with the M-Card. I'm a long-time user, (need treatment ;) ) and was most aware when I couldn't check Burn Notice on my SP!:eek:

I also thought it could be a BrightHouse eccentricity--that perhaps they withheld the information.

Glad to hear it's all normal/eccentric.

8. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Please bear in mind that you have the two previous days of data plus today, and on average most boxes will have between 11 and 13 days of future data, depending on when your unit makes its daily connection, and when we've finished processing all the program guide data and have made it available.

Best,
    Stephen