my grandfather 6.95 multi-room discount went to 12.95??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BrentOMatic, Aug 31, 2010.

1. BrentOMatic

BrentOMatic New Member

Feb 17, 2004

Advertisements

It's the same box and nothing has changed on my account since I got an HD last December.

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Has it been 3 yrs?

Service agreement just ended. I just discovered the same thing. I have a $6.95 monthly charge...I THOUGHT is was always going to be that way. Found out last week that I had a 3 yr service agreement the whole time and it ends in Oct 2010.

3. berryg1

berryg1 New Member

Aug 29, 2008
    nm

4. BrentOMatic

BrentOMatic New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    On mytivo, it says my original activation date for this box was 10/27/2006 current plan end date was 10/27/2007. The charge just appeared on my credit card yesterday and this was the first month it was 12.95 instead of 6.95.

I guess I'll be calling Tivo.

5. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN

Advertisements

Does he live at the same physical address as you do? If not, I don't believe you're eligible for the MSD.

6. BrentOMatic

BrentOMatic New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    huh? I've had the MSD for nearly four years until it randomly changed yesterday.

7. BrentOMatic

BrentOMatic New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    oh, typo in the subject........i was talking about grandfather 6.95 rate, not a relative.

8. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    Is your "Full Price" Tivo still active and connecting? My full price tivo is an old series 2 that I don't use anymore. After a few months of not connecting, my $9.95 MSD tivo will go up to $12.95. I need to plug in the old Tivo for a few days and then call Tivo to get it changed.

9. BrentOMatic

BrentOMatic New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Yes, I have a HD with lifetime that I currently use and the S2 DT (6.95) is just in my office but is still connected. I'll just cancel if they won't reduce the charges or give me some incentive to upgrade.

10. JTYoung1

JTYoung1 Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    I think the only way you were grandfathered is if your contract had expired prior to the price increase and you were paying for service without a contract. I had a old S2 that was $6.95 for a few years until I replaced it with an HDXL box.

11. BrentOMatic

BrentOMatic New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    That's exactly what I was doing. I've been using the same box @ 6.95 per month for the past 4 years and nothing has changed with that box. It's still active, and it's still the 2nd box on my account.

12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I just checked my and I was still billed $6.95 (plus tax for us lucky NYers) on 8/29/10 still have 2 active lifetime TiVos on account that call in daily and have had the $6.95 rate since 8/30/2006.

Post what TiVo tells you went wrong.

Good Luck,

13. wtkflhn

wtkflhn Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La
    Gee, what's wrong with this picture? I have 3 Lifetimes on line and working and I've been paying $12.95 on my old S2DT forever. How do I get it cut to $6.95?

Don H

14. Tiresius

Tiresius Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Mesa, AZ
    I just checked mine cause you had me worried, no changes.

I have full price box that I've paid 12.95 on since May of 2002, which was a price increase from the 9.95 I had paid from Sept 2001.

Also have two other boxes that I've paid 6.95 on since I added them in 01-2005 & 10-2006.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have 4 lifetime units and one unit I've been paying $6.95/mo for since June of 2005. I just checked and it's still getting billed at $6.95 as of 8/2.

Actually I called to cancel that unit a few days ago as I'm not really even using it any more. However the guy talked me out of it saying that the grandfathered service could actually be transferred to another party if I sold it or gave it away. I'm not sure if that's true or not but I figured I'd ask my Sister if she wanted it before I canceled and lost the rate.

Dan

16. berryg1

berryg1 New Member

Aug 29, 2008
    nm

17. BrentOMatic

BrentOMatic New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    I called and found out what apparently happened.

I bought my original Tivo with lifetime 7 1/2 years ago and added the 6.95 monthly S2DT 4 years ago. I got an HD last December and sold my original with lifetime on ebay.

Whoever I sold it to on ebay apparently stopped using it and hasn't connected to the tivo network since February so that box was bumped off my account. So with tivo logic, my box that has been 6.95 for four years now has to be 12.95 because the MSD was linked to the original box even though I still have 2 currently running and connected boxes in my house.

I told support I was just going to cancel and unfortunately, their advanced support for cancellations closes at 8PM PST.

I'm sure this was buried somewhere around line 800 of the terms of service but I could care less about the box. It's in my office, and for $7, I'd just keep it up and running, but I'm not paying more for my 4 year old SD box than I would have to for a leased HD box from my cable company.

Moral of the story: Tivo changes my plan with no notice to try to get an extra $6 out of me per month and instead will get a cancellation. Brilliant!

18. pdhenry

pdhenry Oh, my aching back

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    IIRC the qualifying subscription has to be older than any MSD subscriptions. E.g., if the oldest subscribed unit (full-price or LT) goes away the next oldest (with MSD, not LT) becomes a full-price subscription.

EDIT: Here 'tis:
    http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivomultiservicediscountagreement.html

19. BrentOMatic

BrentOMatic New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    I called in this morning to cancel the $12.95 box and ended up getting a few alternative options from the "save" rep

A) he offered to change the rate back to $6.95 but I'd have to make a 1-year committment

B) He offered me a Premier for $199 and $100 off the lifetime service or $199 for the Premier and he would transfer the $6.95 rate to the new premier (again, with a 1-yr commitment

I do have some interest in Premier but told the rep I wasn't interested in buying today so he offered three free months on the box I was going to cancel. He also said his offers would stand (he gave me a ticket #), so I'll have until December to decide what I want to do.

All in all, pretty good customer service.