My FIOS CC install notes

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TXTivoUser, Aug 16, 2007.

1. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas

Advertisements

Guy shows up on time with 2 new Moto S cards in hand.

Says he's never done a CC install... :rolleyes:
    Oh well - I'll work with him and we'll get it figured out. Gotta start somewhere and the guy was nice enough.

Pop in the CC into slot 1 and he's trying to activate the card via his tools.

Uh oh...it wants a PODID....no one seems to know what that is.

Turns out - it's your HostID in the CC pairing page.

Got a few 164-1 errors, they hit the card a few more times, went through guided setup and it started working.

Did the same for CC 2, now all *appears* to be fine and dandy.

I'm going to start reprogramming my remote and re-wiring things back up and we'll see.

I'll post a progress report tomorrow or Monday after we've had some time on the unit.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    For future reference, when you plug in the CC, the screen with the all the information FiOS needs is displayed automatically after about 120 seconds.

The installer inserts card #1. Wait 120 seconds for screen. Write information down. Installer inserts card #2. Wait 120 seconds for screen. Write information down.

3. fishtank22

fishtank22 New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    North Jersey
    So Fios doesn't offer a single MultiStream CC? How much are the 2 cards costing you? How much for installation?

Fish
    ><>

4. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    FIOS is supposed to be passing out M-Cards but many have reported that we'll have to wait for the current stock of S-Cards to run out, so it depends on what area you're in.

2.99 per card/momth

25.00 house call fee to deliver and set up the cards.

and yes, I am seeing some macroblocking and pixilization, but so far, it's totally watchable.

5. fishtank22

fishtank22 New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    North Jersey

Advertisements

Hey, thanks for the reply. So I assume I don't need my cable box anymore,right? So for $6 per month I get my HD channels as opposed to paying for my HD cable box. (I don't care about losing my PPV or OnDemand content).

Thanks again

D

6. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    Yup - I had multi-room viewing and hd-dvr charges and I get to lose the MRV charges now. I'm keeping my DVR for the kids room until THD gets MRV then I'll get another THD.

So, in your case, yes, lose the cable box and just pay the 6 bucks and the TiVo charges (pay by month or a year at a time - either way) and you're good to go.

7. fishtank22

fishtank22 New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    North Jersey
    so I just got off the phone with Fios Support. They said I can actually go and pick up the card at one of their offices. And that the card will be active once I receive it.

Seems like there would be more to it that the technician would need to be involved with.

Any thoughts?

8. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    Yeah - my thought is that you officially suck. :p I had to wait over a week for someone to deliver mine.

I couldn't go pick mine up, someone had to deliver it and come set it up. Sounds like your place is more 'with it' than mine.

Where are you located?

9. fishtank22

fishtank22 New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    North Jersey
    I'm just outside of NYC in North Jersey.
    Sorry to bum you out :)

So if the card is activated. I should be able to drop it and get it working? Does anything special need to be done?

Thanks again

10. TXTivoUser

TXTivoUser Jeep Ninja

Nov 27, 2002
    Denton, Texas
    Pop it in card slot 1 and just wait for about 2 minutes. It should take you through the cable card settings and I would go to the diagnostics page and make sure there's information there (vs nothign displayed in the stats). Then go through the guided setup, then do the setup again for card 2.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    FIOS doesn't pair the cards to the TiVo so there isn't much for them to do that you can't.

12. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Fish,

I'd doublecheck that info just to be sure before you run down to a Verizon office. It might work differently in other locations, but where I am, Verizon swears I absolutely cannot go to one of their offices and pick up cards to do a self-install. They require a truck roll, because they have no provisions set up for the consumer to call up and have the cards activated. I was told that by two different phone people, and by two FIOS techs at my house.

As I said, could work differently where you are - just trying to save ya some headache.

13. fishtank22

fishtank22 New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    North Jersey
    well, Bummer. I went to the verizon office and they don't have cable cards there. The phone agent must have been an idiot.

But on the positive side, I did get them to wave the $25 installation fee for sending me on a wild goose chase. So I have 2 cards coming to me (no M-Cards) on Monday.

I'm off to get my TIVO HD this weekend :)

14. PSUMattDE

PSUMattDE New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Hey Fishtank-
    I'm getting my FIOS CC's dropped off Monday as well - and yes, you are required to have the techs come out. Sorry you had to go on a goosechase! :D

I'll also be picking up my TIVO this weekend - glad to see they just released a new software version today!

15. raiden256

raiden256 Member

Mar 30, 2002
    This business abbout requiring a truck roll.... it's a total load of crap, and obviously they just make it required because it's a revenue stream. Anybody should be able to pick up a CC, pop it into the TiVo or TV, read off the numbers to the nice lady on the phone, wait for them to "hit" it, and be done, just like my installer did yesterday.

If something went wrong, then maybe a truck roll, but other than that it's all a scam. The willful ignorance on the part of the cable companies about cableCARDs in general is almost criminal.

16. fishtank22

fishtank22 New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    North Jersey
    Ok. Picked up my TiVoHD today! (Saved a 10% at circuit city). But left for a long weekend (back on Sunday). I'll be setting her up then.

While I wait for the "big day", Do I have to activate it right away or do they still give like 30 days free. Just curious? (I think I'll go for the $6.95/m for 3 yrs MSD)

I've had my S1 since May 29, 2000 (just missed the lifetime transfer!!), so DAMN am I due for an upgrade! Psyched!!!

17. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    You have 7 days to activate and then another 30 days after that to cancel.

18. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    You have 7 days from the time the box first calls home.

19. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    Not to mention the truck roll is many times useless. I am like 30+ days into having my S3 with 2 FiOS CCs and still only one of them works. I have had like 5-6 service visits and many many calls to them and it's still yet to be fixed. Getting me VERY frustrated.

20. mulscully

mulscully Member

May 31, 2003
    Malvern, Pa
    just got off the phone with FIOS, install scheduled for Monday, 8/20. The rep understood why I wanted tivo, he is a directv customer and has both tivo and DTV's version and understands completely.. (nice to deal with a fellow tivo'er)

He is unsure of which cards (m-card or SA-cards) as his system doesn't tell him that, but he is sending out 2 cards, so we will see what I get and how good the install goes on Monday...

He was asking me all sorts of questions about the tivo HD too..