My DVR Expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by erick0305, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1 of 35
    erick0305

erick0305 New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Connecticut

Advertisements

I ordered the DVR expander. Can anyone tell me about the goods and the bads? I am still waiting for it to arrive.

2. Jul 9, 2008 #2 of 35
    JonathanMeyers

JonathanMeyers New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Plano Texas
    I've had mine for about 9 months. Works great. Easy installation. Powered up and started working without any issues.

3. Jul 9, 2008 #3 of 35
    kmill14

kmill14 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    If I just got a new Tivo HD and the Expander, should I set-up the Expander first, or the CableCards first?

4. Jul 9, 2008 #4 of 35
    erick0305

erick0305 New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Connecticut
    You should set up the TIVO first and get it activated. If you have the cable card(s) I would say install that next. I would do the storage last. You want to make sure the Tivo and cable cards work fine. I don't think it will be a prob doing it the other way. The Tivo will always have to be set up first.

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

I also had mine for several months with no issues. However, one that the OP should be aware of is a problem with the included cable. Several persons report that the cable does not fit properly, which causes freezing and reboots.

6. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I've had one for almost a year on my Series 3 and not one lick of problems with it, even with the original cable that came in the box.

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I would do the expander last and just focus on the cable cards. There is enough hard rrive space for initial use nad the expander sets up in minutes no matter how full or not the hard drive is.
    That way you can be sure any issues are in the TiVo during a shakedown period of say a week or so with cable cards in and not part of some expander or its cable issue. there have been some reports of problems with expanders.
    NOTE though I have an expander on my TiVo HD for many months now and no issue whatsoever.

8. Natron

Natron Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Greater...
    Any word when TiVo will make a terabyte expander?

9. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    There isn't enough good stuff on TV now to get an expander. I have trouble finding a few shows a week worth recording right now!

Seriously though, once they come down in price I am grabbing one.

10. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    TiVo will never make one. WD, their HDD partner, will, or at least might.

11. erick0305

erick0305 New Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Connecticut
    Got my expander. Hook up was easy. I am confused on how records go partly on the TIVO and partly on the expander? Does this affect play back at all or is it that i will notice no change?

12. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Your viewing experience will not change at all, other than you will notice a lot more programming in the Now Playing List.

Where it will affect you is if for some reason you need to "divorce" the drive. Anything you record from the moment you added the drive will automatically be lost should the "marriage" not go well.

13. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    What RonDawg said. Unless you anticipate moving the drive for some odd reason, you'll never notice anything different except larger capacity. I've had one for six months and it works like a charm.

14. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    See, that's the thing: six months ago, there was plenty on. Thanks the to DVR expander, they continue to wait until I get around to watching them. =)

15. MarTT

MarTT Newbie

Dec 15, 2007
    Indianapolis IN
    very easy. Question: will everything that was "in danger" of being deleted due to lack of space no longer be in danger? I did not notice the yellow warning button change or go away in the listings. Thank you. (I have a TiVo HD DVR.)

16. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Even if you add more storage, the yellow flags will not go away unless you extend the Keep Through date, or make them Keep Until I Delete.

17. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The yellow ball (1-3 days)/yellow ball ! (over 3 days) are set purely by time from recording, regardless of system capacity.

Those are default times.

18. mathwhiz

mathwhiz Member

May 28, 2000
    Okemos, MI, USA
    One other tip I think I remember from when I got it. It takes a bit once you hook it up for the TiVo to initialize it - so don't hook it up if you have recordings scheduled soon. I'd say plan an hour (may be way over from what I remember) of non-recording time to make sure you don't miss any recordings.

Other than that - I love mine.

19. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    The only issue I see with getting one of these is that it needs a separate power outlet. I have to many power cords behind my TV as it is. It would have been great if it got its power directly from the Tivo via USB.

20. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    :confused:I can't recall where I read something about this, but I need clarification. If I install a "My DVR Expander", then later determine to remove it and change the internal drive to a more spacious drive, will there be any problem? It seems I read somewhere that once an external drive has been used, the internal drive can not be upgraded. Thanks in advance for a reply.