My DVR Expander is dead. Options?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WizarDru, Aug 3, 2010.

1. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA

Advertisements

So my TiVo HD started acting wonky a few weeks ago and kept getting progressively worse. In my various usese of Kickstart, I think I must have borked it. After different tests, it went to being stuck in a reboot loop. If I disconnected the DVR expander, it noticed, but couldn't remove it (instead rebooting and continually noticing it wasn't there).

Since the unit was three years old and about to end its service contract, I decided to upgrade it to a premiere. Flash forward a few weeks and the same problems occur. Kickstart 54 overnight shows me that DVR Expander has some problems. Removing it fixes the problems. Fair enough.

The question is, what options do I have for the 500GB DVR Expander? It's out of warranty by over a year. If it's just the drive, can I just buy a new SATA hard drive and put it in the chasis? WD's upgrade page lists no DVR Expanders, so that's no help. I can call them, I was just curious if anyone knew what my options are. A new SATA drive is dirt cheap ($45 for a 500GB desktop unit).

Thoughts?

2. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    Well, Western Digital clearly isn't going to be part of the solution, if there is one. I called 'technical support' and while they correctly identified the type of drive from the serial number...their response was that it was out-of-warranty (which I told him at the start of the call) and they don't fix or support drives once they are OOW. He recommended I take it to a computer store. Since I am currently a senior network engineer with over two decades of professional experience, I rolled my eyes, there.

I asked if I could swap in another SATA drive into the enclosure, but he clearly didn't understand the question, since he pointed out that SATA is a standard and any SATA drive would work. Which ignored my question of whether it would fit in the MY DVR Expander Enclosure (since SATA drives come in different form factors, particularly between laptops and desktops).

3. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Do you own a gun? If so shoot it, then buy a 1GB drive and replace the internal drive.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Are you sure it's the hard drive?
    I have read of cases where the electronics in the WD expander case failed and not the hard drive.