My confession

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jamesacastro, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jamesacastro

jamesacastro New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    My confession. I've had a TiVo for 7 years. Many, if not most of you, have been a part of TiVo for much longer. Being with TiVo I've had to go the cable route. I watched as some of my friends went to dish, direct, or even cable with their prehistoric DVRs. I'd laugh at the clunkiness. I'd go on and on about the ease of a TiVo. The ability to do this or do that. I was hooked. But then these little whispers would come to my ear. Dish and Directv have more HD channels. It's cheaper than cable. Come Jimmy. Come to the dark side. I resisted at first. Directv and TiVo are teaming up!, said the press release 2 freaking years ago. I waited TiVo! I stood by you when others wouldn't. Last Sunday it happened. I asked myself "Why am I watching the golf, one example, channel in low def?" So I commence to my research. Roughly 3-4 solid hours of gleaning the web and I make my decision. Directv. I order online and schedule the install for wednesday. That was two days ago. And I'm very impressed.*

Let's start with the install. A couple of guys come over and two hours later I'm rolling in hidef. Up to my ears in HD. If HD channels were blades of grass in your back yard and you decided to count each blade.... But got tired cause there was soooooooo many.... You get the point. What about the dvr? I've got the HD DVR hr24-200 in the main living room and the hr24-200 upstairs. Now... You've seen the commercials. Pause in one room resume in another. That should not be the big seller but it is what it is. The main benefit of whole house dvr is you only need to set up recordings in one place. 100 hours of HD recorded on my living room dvr and able to view it in either room. Instantly. The on-screen guide. A nice little TV window with what's currently on in the upper right hand corner and your guide right below it. Navigation is somewhat like the TiVo. Like searching for programs, recording, etc. Some really cool features include-now I'm getting this from my directv tips and tricks guide so yes it'll sound like a commercial-mix channels, score guide, directv active, QuickTune, directv cinema plus.... Mix channels-channels 102 and 600. Go there and your greeted with 8 live channels of news, 102 or sports, 600. Arrow to what you want or just keep em all up. You'll only get sound from the highlighted channel but you can watch all 8 live. Score guide-this only works if your watching a live sporting event but cool just the same. You press the red button on the remote and up pops a score guide of all sports scores sorted by sport. If a game is currently on another channel you can click "watch now" and go right to it. Directvactive-weather, horoscope, lottery channel. Quicktune-you can set 9 different channels as favorites and access them by pressing the up arrow. Nice.*directv cinema plus-like Netflix but muuuch better. Browseable and quicker movie releases than Netflix. Not all but many.*

But what about my 30 second skip? Did you ever wonder what you were missing when you did the skip on your TiVo? I mean I had it down to a near science. Right through the commercials! Well with DTV its like you fast forward at the highest speed 30 secs at a time. Kinda cool. Now I know what I was missing. Say Jimmy.... What about pausing shows with a plasma? Nothing worse than losing track of time and getting that burn. DTV goes to screen saver after 5 minutes and you get the DTV logo that floats around over a black background. Might be a little too long but anything is better than nuttn.*

So there you have it. I'm a convert.*

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't really think it's cool that it FFs instead of 30 second skip.. though I believe the Premiere does that optionally too..

3. jamesacastro

jamesacastro New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Mattack- I see you've been here for ever... Thousands of posts. Yet.... How do I put this... (... = tap, tap, tap) that is what you got from my post? I appreciate you taking the time away from... Commenting on other posts but take more from mine than the 30 second skip. That is all.

4. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Ok so what should we get from your post then? TiVo is losing out on DirecTV customers because they can't wait any longer for product that should of come out a long time OK. You are not saying anything new that thousands of people before you said. What is your point?

5. jamesacastro

jamesacastro New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    In today's fast track world maybe I was a little long winded. There was a time where we would read a book and have to write a book report on it. It forced us to absorb content, think, then write what we thought. Consider my post the book. Read it, absorb, write what you think. Mattack would have gotten an F on his report. Not to say that everything needs to be regurgitated but Jack London's Call of the Wild was more than a dog getting stolen.

My points? Where I live, and I know this doesn't apply everywhere, cable sucks. I had no other choice of providers when it came to using my TiVo. I was also tired of the false promises of a new directivo.

So there you have it. The readers digest version.

6. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Really? There is no hope of free over the air HDTV where you live? None whatsoever?? The post office won't deliver Blu-ray discs from Netflix and Blockbuster in this unusual residence so far off the grid that you don't get rural route postal service? There isn't a library within 100 miles where your could check out a DVD of a TV series for free?

As an aside, why is it that so often when people start a new thread where their location is paramount to understanding their personal dilemma: 1) they use an obvious phrase such as "where I live"; and 2) they still don't fill out the goddam location block of their user profile?! People on Al Gore's Interwebz aren't going to track you down and do a home invasion!

You could safely put down something like "Kansas City Metro Area" and people would be able to tell you what the local terrain and OTA reception were like, mention any outstanding problems with local broadcasters and cable companies, and recommend electronics retailers and local service professionals. But no, people ***** about "where I live" and the other members of the forum are left to guess if the original poster meant Botswana, Copenhagen, or Akron, Ohio.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

7. jamesacastro

jamesacastro New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Jimbo - first off. That is some funny, but true, ***** there. I did my research. It's not so much the movies I was worried about nor the OTA free hd. It's the sports. Where I live, a galaxy far far away, I want my sports.... And some cool features. I now have both.

8. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    That actually is a perfectly legitimate point.

If you want to watch a lot of sports events, you either need to pay for subscription TV (cable or satellite) or live within stumbling distance of an affordable sports bar.

Most of us don't have the free time and discretionary income to attend enough sporting events live and in person. ESPN 3 is ok for what it is, but serious sports fans (and gambling addicts who have money riding on the games) probably want to have a cable or satellite subscription so they can get their ESPN and Versus fix. You could keep current on the scores and stats with just an internet connection, but that might make people think that you were a fantasy sports league weenie.;)

9. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Another troll from another ex-Tivo user with a bad attitude.

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Eh, it's worthwhile to hear about these things - for example I had no idea D* had some of those features nowadays. The mindset around here is so Tivo-centric (obviously, given the name of the board!) that in my humble opinion (and I understand it's not a popular one) it's useful to see what makes people quit / leave / switch / closet their Tivos. I agree it's not useful to respond to the troll, but it is useful to read about and discuss amongst ourselves.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    For me, DirecTV is more expensive than what I have with FiOS.

The last time I had DirecTV my monthly bill was over $120.
    It's a little lower now but it is still more than what I pay for FiOS TV.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Wow, long-time TiVo lover and finally posts thousands of words just to tell us how wonderful DirecTV is, sounding a lot like a commercial for them. I don't know whether to be sad or glad he hasn't blessed us with these wonderful descriptive powers for the last 7 years. :p

I knew he was blowing smoke when he said there were 8 news broadcasts. There aren't any true news broadcasts left in the USA. What we get is 30 seconds of actual news spread across an hour of commercials, soap operas, human interest stories and political "analysis".

OP, I think you should post your love for DirecTV on a forum of D* users. I'm sure it will cheer up some of the posters there who are having problems with their systems. But thanks for thinking of us! :D

13. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    What Tivo did you have?

Anyway the Premiere does the 30 second ff skip by default. I didn't consider it a feature, but it has grown on me. It has got me to watch a commercial or two and catch something I might have otherwise missed.

Definitely go with the best deal for yourself. Also just good to try out the competition once in awhile. Either to find out its better or to realize what you had was awesome or a bit of both.

14. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    OP sounds like a sales person for D*....me thinks this smells like spam.

15. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Pretty much same here. I paid $150 a month for Directv. I pay $140 a month for FiOS TV which also includes internet.

16. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    LOL.. it's been so long since we Tivo users have heard anything positive about a DVR that some think it's a paid for scam..hahaha.

Actually, I love hearing the OP. IMHO, It's never bad to hear what the competition offers, even though 99% of it sounds like it can be done with a Premiere.
    My personal view on Dish and Directv is they have ALOT of channels that are useless or worse, shopping channels.. and you are kept from removing them from your channel listing. Maybe the OP can tell us if he can remove channels he doesn't want to watch? To me that is a deal breaker... as I don't want to have to skip 20 channels to get to the next good channel all the time.

17. jamesacastro

jamesacastro New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Funny.. Now I'm a troll? I'd rather be labeled a fanboy. I already get called that because of my love of all that is apple. Aside from ubuntu installed on my pc. But I undress... Er digress.*

*So pardon me ladies and gentle people. I was, and still am, very impressed by Directv. When they get a TiVo box I'll take a look at it. Until then I'm getting everything I want right now. In HD. Maybe all was not understood. Where I live, remember a galaxy far far away?, cable sucks. I have no other choice with a TiVo. Cable. Your one stop finger up the ash shop. I was nickel and dimed(<-- my iPad tells me this is not a real word but I'm gonna run with it) by my cable company. I'm now paying $55.00 American dollars per month for my service. Two DVRs and all that HD. comparatively speaking cable would have cost me over a $100.00 a month. Sure it goes up in a year but only by 15 pine cones. I can live with that.*

Geez folks lighten up! It's not like I whipped it out on aisle 7 at the Albertsons/Safeway/piggly wiggly and pleasured myself in front of the Jimmy Dean sausage. I'm just stoked. And why post it here? Knowledge is king. If others know maybe we could go all Wisconsin on TiVo's arse and they'll get that new directivo out sooner.*

To the questions. I have a TiVo premier and a TiVo HD. It wasn't the equipment. It was my provider that pushed me away. And yes you can build custom channel lists. Build it, load it, lock it. So my boys only get family oriented shows upstairs. You can build several and load 'em when you want 'em.*

And that's a wrap. For now at least.

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Geez! Are you sure your new DirecTV setup is the only thing you're "stoked" on? ;)

19. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The knee-jerk defensive attitude with some errors on facts posted by those desperatley trying to knock the OP's post could be argued by some to, as ThreeSoFar'sbro put it, "smell of a scam" with TiVo apologist trolls, employees, perhaps, posting all the catty responses to the OP. Perhaps it is that kind of attitude that has prevented TiVo from offering some truly innovative features in the Premiere that SEVERAL TiVo loving posters admit TiVo didn't do. An additional tuner for one, streaming--not transfers--between units like a whole home DVR solution (that DirecTV and others have), etc.

TiVo engineers may posses the same belief echoed by some of the hissy posts on this thread, that their TiVo product from last century, rechristened the Premiere, is just fine the way it is, with a few tweaks thrown in for each series along with HD support for the later versions, as it seems most of the posters in this thread believe, as well.

The point is TiVo was an innovative company, but seems to lack the vision it once had by allowing others to pass them by with features that modern subscribers seem to care more about. TiVo has no chance of surviving if can't take to heart an accurate post from someone who is trying to share the reasons TiVo has lost his business, but does seem willing to return if TiVo can be more competitive. Instead of posting remarks of denial regarding TiVo's weaknesses (and TiVo does continue to LOSE subscribers--wonder why? Read the OP's post) prevents it's loyal customer base from demanding real innovation from TiVo and such attitudes, in effect, contributes to TiVo's demise. TiVo's worst enemies are its biggest boosters: the TiVo apologist fanboys

Every post inferring the OP is a troll for DirecTV, merely affirms the accuser is a shill for TiVo.

20. BigDawgy07

BigDawgy07 New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Yea, it's all great till your watching the last 5 minutes of the Superbowl and a huge thunderstorm comes overhead and you loose satellite signal.

Every service has a drawback, cable might be more expensive and their customer service sucks most of the time, but I have never had 10 minutes of a show cut out because of a storm. I had Direct TV for a while, that's how I got our first Tivo, but once they stopped offering a Tivo unit I switched over to a series 2 and cable, now I have a premiere.

A Tivo is faster and more reliable then the cable company DVR's, does it do everything perfect, nope, but it's better then most other options out there.