My Comcast Install Experience...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dunn28, Aug 14, 2010.

1. dunn28

dunn28 New Member

Oct 19, 2007

Advertisements

So far, so good. I scheduled my install approx. 10 days ago and called back earlier this week to request 1- a Comcast Tech and 2- bring a back up Cable Card... During time scheduled this morning, tech called as requested, it was a Comcast tech, and he did bring 2 CableCards... Took about 1.5 hours and I was up and running. After about 2 hours I did have to call 'tech support' as the image had frozen, but they 'sent some signals' and I powered the Premiere unit down, once it came back up I've had smooth sailing since. I know it's still early and I expect a few bumps in the road going forward.... but so far so good!:up:

2. mikebridge

mikebridge Member

Sep 18, 2000
    Plainfield, IL
    glad yours worked out. i scheduled my install for today (saturday), got the confirmation call from comcast yesterday. sat here all day waiting for the tech, appointment time comes and goes, no tech, no call. call in, they rescheduled me to monday when i won't be home. call in to get this fixed, they didn't come today because they don't have cable cards. so, somehow, they will magically have them on monday. rescheduled for next saturday. why won't they let me do a self install? just so they can bill for the truck roll?

3. DonB.

DonB. Love My TIVO !!

Apr 4, 2010
    South Florida
    What happened to the Comcast guarantee, or they credit you $25 on your next install, and the reason why they send a truck with a tech is they have to pair it with the Mac ID and they also have to trouble shoot if it does not work, it is one of those things that is hit or miss when they come out

4. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I find that my subwoofer likes to unscrew the connectors on my coax (that's my theory anyway). When I start losing channels, I go unscrew all the cable connections and screw them back in and it often fixes it. The one time that didn't fix things, the comcast guys came out and discovered that squirrels had apparently been chewing on the cable. Replacing the drop to my house worked wonders :).

5. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta

Advertisements

It took three service visits to get mine working. The first visit was a total cluster.
    The second visit the guy came for the install even though he didn't have a cable card (they were "out at the warehouse"). He thought it would be okay to just bring me a POS cable DVR instead.
    The third time the guy did bring the card but couldn't get anybody at Comcast on the phone that actually knew how to set it up. He actually left and "made some calls" later to get it working. That evening it finally started working but none of my premium channels were coming in so I had to call Comcast to get that squared away. After a couple of hours that night everything was finally working.

It was all very mind bending. When I called Comcast to complain about there not being a cable card available for my second install, after all the appointment was on the schedule for a week, I didn't catch them at the last minute, they told me that the cards are very popular. Yet when it came time to provision it nobody seemed to know how to get it done.

6. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I'm so glad that here in Houston we can just go by the Comcast office and pick up cable cards and do the install ourselves. As long as you get someone who knows what they're doing on the phone (which is about 75% of the time because most calls about cable cards get escalated to support right away), it's quick and painless.

7. photosurrealism

photosurrealism New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    First installer came and installed a card. HD didn't (seem to) work. He said he thought they used different cards for HD and I'd have to get another appointment.

Poking around later, turns out it did get a few HD channels- the nearby broadcast ones and (oddly) TOON. But I got a new appointment anyway.

Other installer comes a week later and puts in a new card- same result. Puts in another card and the machine doesn't recognize it as an M-Card. Puts in a third card and it works perfectly. I now get all the channels my Comcast HD cable box gets (I think).

He says that happens a lot. So I guess I'm glad I didn't do it myself, but if the first installer had been more savvy, I could've been up a week ago. :-(