My Comcast customer owned equipment discount disappeared

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by crnile, Jun 19, 2019.

1. crnile

crnile Chuck

Oct 28, 2013
    Portola...
    I have lived in a retirement community in the SF Bay Area for 3 1/2 years and have a Tivo Roamio and a Tivo Mini network connected. Comcast is the only option on our campus. My last two bills have dropped the $2.50 discount for customer owned equipment. When I called billing they said it was because I wasn't considered a residential customer and they were correcting an error in billing. When I went to the store, they said it was because they were dropping VOD (which I don't use) and generally they were dropping Tivo support. This really made me angry since I lost Tivo support with DirecTV years ago. I hope that they were misinformed.
    The only thing I can think of is that the residential community provides basic Comcast service to all units and I pay for Internet (with my own modem) and Premium Service for HD.
    Any ideas or similar experiences. I realize that $2.50 is not the end of the world. I really hope that I can keep my Tivo setup.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Do you have any Comcast set top boxes on your account?

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I had the same thing happen around the same time. It didn't really surprise me, since I know they've been wanting to push people to their own boxes for a while now.

crnile likes this.
  4. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    None of the answers you were given seem legitimate. You should still be entitled to the COE discount with your setup.

My HOA also has a bulk services agreement with Comcast (which I myself negotiated) for the Digital Starter tier of programming, and I have always gotten the COE discount. Like you, I have Comcast HSI on my individual account using my own third-party modem and router. And as of three months ago I relinquished my Gigabit HSI service in favor of a "Preferred Double Play" bundle that includes Blast! (150Mbps) and an upgrade to the Digital Preferred tier plus STARZ. None of these changes has impacted my COE credit, which I am entitled to by virtue of using a TiVo with a Comcast-supplied CableCARD. You are in the same boat, and even though billing practices can vary throughout the Comcast kingdom (a situation which they claim to be in the process of correcting under the rubric of "Simple, Easy, Awesome") there is a standard corporate policy regarding the COE.

You should persist until you get your discount back on your bill. You can sent a tweet to @comcastcares or post your inquiry in the non-X1 Service thread on the Xfinity Community Forum. If none of that works, you can reach out to the Customer Service executive team at Send Tom Feedback - Xfinity Support - Comcast Corporation.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    crnile, Mikeguy and giomania like this.
  5. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    If you are referring to the $9.95 "HD Technology Fee," that spurious charge is being eliminated from Comcast's fee structure entirely as a separate line item. In most cases it should not impact on whether you receive the HD channels and you should ask to have it removed. In a worst case scenario, you can always have it added back on to your account on the off chance you find that you lose your preferred channels without it.

6. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Comcast is eliminating the requirement for a "box" on all but their Digital Starter package that is rolling out across the country... If your plan does not include a box (only digital starter does now), they will drop the $2.50 credit. If you have digital starter, you should still be getting it unless you also have a Comcast cable box.

7. crnile

crnile Chuck

Oct 28, 2013
    Portola...
    No just Tivo boxes and my own modem.

8. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I have the same issue. I was getting $5 off and then it dropped to $2.50. Call them and ask for the BULK ACCOUNTS team.