My Circuit City/S3 Repair Experience

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by snathanb, Aug 10, 2007.

1. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    As noted in a previous thread, my S3 hard drive failed after 11 months.

I did purchase the 3 year CC repair plan for $59.99.

I boxed up my S3 and took it to the local CC. They punched in my contract number, and then said.. "oh, we aren't authorized to service these, we'll just trade you for a brand new one"

So, they brought a brand new one up from the stockroom. Unfortunately, they did open it and take the accessory box out and send it back with my broken one.

Then they explained that with giving me a new Tivo that ended my repair plan, and that they would credit me back for the 2 years and 1 month remaining on the plan.

So, I got a brand new tivo after 11 months for about $20.

They did give me the option to repurchase another 3 year plan for $59.99. Since I was getting $40 back from my old plan, I took them up on it. It's worth it for instant exchange.

2. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    And if you don't like to open computers, this is a great option.

Otherwise, it's cheaper (and easier for many) to buy and replace the hard drive. Ideally with a bigger one.

3. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    And now you get to call the cable company and have them repair the cards to your new box. And hope they don't muck up your account in the process causing you to lose channels. ;)

4. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    OTA only... no worries!

5. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006

Some counterpoints to consider.

1. I do like to open computers.... and I am an electrical engineer. I've built the last 10 computers I've owned.

Wrong!

2. Cheaper? It cost me $17 to replace the 250 GB drive. (After CC refunded the unused portion of the service plan). You can buy a 250GB DVR optimized drive at that cost?? Send me the link!

Wrong!

3. Yes, I can upgrade to a bigger drive at anytime I feel it necessary. AND when I do, I'll still have a functioning 250 GB drive I can re-purpose, instead of a failed one. Or I'll augment it with an external eSATA drive.

Wrong!

4. Easier? How? I carried it into the store and walked out with a new one. That's easier than buying a new drive, waiting for it to arrive from newegg, taking the case apart and swapping drives? Hardly.

Wrong!

Man.. there are a few people on this forum you can ALWAYS count on to come in an crap on anything positive anyone has to say.

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If your Circuit City experience was not an exception three gold stars for Circuit City as most exchanges you would not get any refund on you service contract as most of these contracts say it ends if they give you a new item and not repair the old one. If I spent money for a service contract I would make use of also (if needed) or why purchase it in the first place. You answer is right on !!!

7. AGBulls

AGBulls New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    You bought a $600 + box just for CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and FOX?

I wish I still had that kind of afinity for the major networks...it passed over 10 years ago.

Wow.

8. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Best Buy did the same thing with my ser 2 when it stopped working. They gave me a credit for the amount I paid for the original one. Then used that to buy the new one. First one had a $150 rebate, second one had a $150 rebate.

9. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    You could build yourself an HTPC with zero monthly fees for what you spent on your S3 Tivo. Using an S3 Tivo just for OTA recording is a big waste of money when you consider what you have to pay for the Tivo service. My HTPC has five ATSC tuners, but I also get 14 local HD channels. :D I also have an S3 Tivo with two cablecards that I use for recording my FIOS cable channels.

Say what you will about the major networks but when it comes to programming the majority of the population likes to watch, they're the main choice people will flock to. Now, I don't think all network programs are worthy of season passes but there are a lot of good shows worth watching, depending on where your tastes lie. The biggest thing I hate is that many of the best shows get cancelled after only 4 or 5 episodes simply because they don't get the market share the advertisers demand.

If shows like M*A*S*H or Seinfeld were introduced today then they'd never be the success they were when they were aired. Neither series took off until the 2nd season or later. With the same kind of results both shows got during their first seasons, they never would have completed the inaugural season, let alone make it to a 2nd one. With the networks so quick to drop the axe on a new series it's no wonder that many people migrate to other quality programming on the History Channel or the Discovery Channel. In their haste to improve the bottom line, the networks just continue to shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to providing quality entertainment. Sadly, the "Reality Show" genre has become a mainstay with Fox and other networks because a large majority of the brain dead viewing audience thinks it's worthy of their time. :rolleyes:

End of rant.

Back on topic: The OP made out like a bandit with the S3 and the extended service plan, but this is not always going to be the case. Circuit City does not have the technical expertise to repair a Tivo so they just replace it with another unit from stock and send the other one back to a warehouse where it gets put in storage until they decide to liquidate it at a later date. Many HDTivo owners that purchased the extended service contract ended up getting refunds for the contract when the HDTivos ceased production and CC had no more in stock that they could swap out. This sucked for them because all they got out of it was the contract price when they originally paid something like $900 for their HDTivos. CC was never held accountable for this AFAIK, which is a complete travesty. If they can't honor a service contract then they have no business selling them.