My Cat from Hell

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BeanMeScot, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 #1 of 37
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Yet another pet psychiatrist, Jackson Galaxy, muscian by night, cat behaviorist by day, comes on the scene. Having had cats most of my life, of course I tuned in!

It was an hour show about 2 different cases. First up was Bear. A super aggressive feline. He would get really upset when there were strangers in the house. Jackson gets tagged pretty good by this one. Apparently, the solution was to give the cat some high places so he would feel comfortable and safe. They fixed it so he could walk around the living room without getting on the floor. By the end of the episode, he was showing his belly to the guests while on his perch (only comfortable cats will do this).

The 2nd part featured Sully who scared easily and had several behaviors that irritated his "cat guardian's" live in boyfriend. The boyfriend wanted the cats out of the bedroom and this guy liked to rattle the door at 5 in the morning. Jackson wanted all rooms open to the cat but the boyfriend wanted a cat free zone. Jackson gave in and the solution was an automated air can that would spray air at the cat as it came near the door. The cat started staying away from the door. When Jackson first got there, the cat was hiding in an enclosed litterbox so they opened the box and moved it to the center of the room so it wouldn't be attractive as a hiding spot. They put a cat perch in the area instead which the cat liked.

Jackson also wanted the boyfriend to be more invested in the cat (and the boyfriend liked dogs) so he showed them how to train the cat to walk on a leash. By the end of the episode, the boyfriend was making perches on the wall for the cats and actually called Sully "my cat" much to his own surprise.

2. May 8, 2011 #2 of 37
    Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    Sounds interesting. SP set.

3. May 8, 2011 #3 of 37
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Thanks, I'll look for it.

4. May 8, 2011 #4 of 37
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I thought it would be about psychotic cats from hell. So it is more of a "cat whisperer" type show.

5. May 8, 2011 #5 of 37
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Now I'd be interested in seeing how this works.

We have a cat that showed up (skin and bones) at our house on the back of 80 acres.....so no telling what he went through before he arrived. Anyway, he's a GREAT cat!! Very friendly etc. His only issue is that he wants outside somewhere around 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning. He makes this known by RIPPING at the carpet with his claws. While it doesn't seem to do any damage to the carpet, it makes a HORRIBLE noise! Then when I get up, he gets all "see how cute I am" and rubs all over my legs, while trying to get me to follow him to the door. :rolleyes: Thought I'd be smart and just start closing the bedroom door. Sounds like a bear beating on the door! UGH!

Going to have to watch this episode and see how this air can thing works. :D

6. May 8, 2011 #6 of 37
    atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My cat is currently prancing around meowing like crazy as I type this, even though he has clean water, fresh food, and a changed litterbox.

I *need* to watch this show. ;)

Thanks OP for letting me know it exists!

7. May 8, 2011 #7 of 37
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Well, if he has fresh food, clean water, and a clean litterbox, then obviously he wants Something Else.

With my cat, the answer is obvious -- he wants us to get out a toy and play with him.

8. May 9, 2011 #8 of 37
  9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    A towell would have been more effective than a knife.

10. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    As a cat person, I definitely enjoyed the show though most of it was common sense to me. I don't know that I could ever have a cat free room. I guess though I do in some ways when people stay with me since they will close their bedroom door to keep the cats out. My cats don't seem to mind though they do try to sneak in from time to time.

11. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Now you can't just leave it at that. How exactly do you defend yourself from a crazed, aggressive cat using only a towel? Keeping in mind that this cat was apparently so ferocious that a man with a knife was severely injured by the cat.

I'm sure I could fight off even a 30 pound bruiser of a tabby cat with my bare hands, if I was not concerned about injuring the cat, and was willing to take a scratch or a bite. But if the cat was seriously crazed I doubt I could manage to get a towel around it without injuring it. Maybe if the towel was wet I could use it like a bull whip...

12. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    That story was seriously fishy.

While there are a few (very few) diseases or conditions that might manifest as severely aggressive behavior in a cat, I find it far more likely that the stabbing came before the aggression in this case.

13. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    There is no telling what the guy had done to the cat in the past as well as in the current conflict. Regardless, the cat's attack weapons are claws and teeth. If you throw a towel over one and then grab it and roll the cat up in it, it's much tougher for the cat to hurt you. Obviously, if you don't get the towel over the important parts, you could still be hurt.

This guy was trying to use a knife against the cat and it sounds like he stabbed himself. He probably fell over the cat and the knife wound up in him. I wouldn't think a knife would be a good weapon against a cat. A cat has 20 knives and a mouth full of pointy teeth against your one knife. A knife is only useful in close combat and you don't want to be close to a really angry cat. Even a domesticated one.

14. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Yeah, I forgot to address this.
    The quickest and most reliable method of catching a loose/stressed/fractious cat is to throw a towel or blanket over it. They immediately feel hidden and thus safe, and 99.99% of the time they just hunker down and remain motionless.
    Also, swaddling reduces stress by keeping the central nervous system stimulated in a calm fashion.
    That's why "thundercoats" work on thunderstorm phobic dogs.
    Sounds loony but it works.

15. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I think the problem is getting the towel onto the crazed cat, which can move superhumanly fast, while it is attacking you. I think we are imagining different situations. You are picturing a riled house cat running around, and I am thinking of a wild animal in serious attack mode coming at me faster than I can react. I'd be able to fight it off, but I'd have to wait until it came in close and bit or scratched me, then I'd grab it by the neck or leg or tail, whatever my lunge connected with, and that would be it for the cat.

Of course, as has been pointed out, maybe the story given by the man was not true or complete, and the cat was not as ferocious as was implied.

16. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    The problem in your scenario is that if you grab a cat by the neck (or leg or tail), their back legs (or whatever is spared in your original "catch") are going to come at you with such force and they are going to squirm with such ability that you are going to get more hurt regardless.

17. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    There are ways to hold a fractious cat- one hand scruffing it and the second holding the waist prevents them from both biting and clawing you. But most laypeople can't seem to do things like this without letting go and once you have a grip the last thing you want to do is let go.

I groomed cats for many years and have handled just about every angry cat wrangling situation imaginable. But as I said, it would be a very, very rare case that a domestic cat would come after you in a truly aggressive attack mode.
    If you let go of them they run away, not come back at you.

I still think the cat in the above referenced story was being forcefully held and attacked when it fought back.

18. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I don't think you are following me. I am going to kill or severely injure the cat once I get my hands on it -- by breaking its neck or back or just crushing it under foot or body. It will take a second or two. I'll probably get scratched or bitten a couple times, but the cat is history. As I wrote, I am assuming the cat is totally crazed and feral I am not concerned about injuring it. I am assuming this because the guy was apparently using a knife to defend himself from the cat and was severely injured anyway. Of course, if that story is a lie, then disregard what I have just written -- I like cats and would not injure one unless it was ferociously attacking me.

19. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Gotcha!

20. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The towell method as pointed out by another poster is to subdue the cat. If I did not have the guts to kill an animal that size, I would bring it to the animal shelter. Some will euthenize it on the spot.