My cable is different

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kycop10, Aug 31, 2007.

1. kycop10

kycop10 New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I recieve my digital cable through a phone line, I have a motorola box, this box recieves the cable dsl phone etc through a phone line, I am not sure what this is called, But The real question I am trying to answer is what type of tivo can I use and will it even work very good with my setup, MEaning I dont have to use different remotes etc.

the box runs different tv by just putting them on other channels
    example living room channel 7 bedroom channel 13 kids room channel 3 other room channel 11

each tv has its own remote with a rf type of controller that uses the coax as the antenna??

anyone ever heard of this type of cable.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Its called VDSL.

You can run one Single tuner Series 2 (or just the A/V in on a Series 2 DT) off the gateway box with the A/V out and IR blaster.

3. pops_porter

pops_porter Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    I'm moving and might get VDSL. I understand I can only use one tivo and only record one channel on my DT.

But, can I watch live TV and record a show? With this technology I just can't picture where you would split the signal and be able to watch live TV while tivo is recording.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You connect A/V from the gateway box to the TiVo.

Use the RF out on the gateway to your TV, and one of the other remotes to control your second channel viewing. Yuo split that output to other TV(s) in your home if you desire.

5. pops_porter

pops_porter Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Thanks classicast, you sounds like a pro with this VDSL as you've responded to a lot of the posts I've read regarding this technology. This VDSL seems too limiting in regards to using it with Tivo, I think i will just go with the local regular cable company.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, is downside is using it with TiVo; you can only use one DVR with it effectively, and they need located together (some people prefer to install the gateway where they won't see it, which makes TiVo integration a bit hard).