1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"My Brilliant Friend" on HBO

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tivoknucklehead, Nov 28, 2018.

1. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    excellent miniseries. first foreign language (Italian) HBO series . I have only watched the first two episodes (of 4 so far) but am easily hooked. early episodes set in 1950s Naples Italy .So far shows how the 2 smartest girls in their school deal with poverty, horrendous sexism (from their own families), violence and chaos in their neighborhood and life in general, and their lifelong friendship. narrated in the perspective of one of the girls.

8.5 on imdb.com
    weekly shows, you can easily get caught up with HBO GO or on demand

Tony_T likes this.
  2. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    My wife and I have also watched the first two episodes and are very impressed. The two lead actresses are wonderful and cute as heck.

My wife was born and lived in Bari up to about the age of the girls in this show so she has a special attachment. And the movies isn't really in Italian but in a Neapolitan dialect, making it interesting for an Italian speaker as well. Good show.

3. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I'm really enjoying it.

The subtitles make me realize how much I tend to multi-task while watching TV. I can't do that while I am watching this show-I really have to concentrate on the subtitles. I don't speak Italian but I do understand French and so many of the words are the same. It's such a beautiful language. And the actors are all perfectly cast IMO.

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Great series. I'm shocked that even my wife is enjoying it. Just watched the first four episodes and it's refreshing to see something like this on HBO. There's talk of a Sopranos prequel in the works so I'm wondering if they'll do something like this like they did in Godfather II.

5. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    wow ,through episode 6. this is one of the best ever HBO series
    very happy to report it has been renewed already for season 2

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018