My Book AV DVR Expander and Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by brucedl, Jul 19, 2015.

1. brucedl

brucedl Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Chicago,...

Advertisements

I purchased a My Book AV DVR Expander a couple of years back and happily used it with an RCN Premeire Tivo box. After a move, I was without a Tivo, and due to a hard drive failure I was also without a backup drive for my computers at the same time, so I took the unused My Book and reformatted it to perform back up duties. Well, I'm back in the Tivo fold with a Roamio and wondering if I were to plug the My Book in to the Roamio Sata port, would Tivo reformat it for it's own use again? I will probably just try this, but wondered if anyone had any experience to share. Thanks!

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Most everyone here would advise you to put a bigger internal hard drive in the Roamio instead of doubling your chances of losing all your shows due to failure of one of the two drives (since the shows get recorded partly to one drive and partly to the other because of some need to keep the "content providers" from having a cow).

However, since the actual drive inside the external enclosure is one of the very few model numbers on the list that the TiVo checks against when it detects that an external drive has been connected, it should accept it without complaint, and since it was designed to only work with TiVo authorized external drives it almost certainly isn't set up to check for any previous formatting, especially a PC/DOS type Master Boot Record, before slapping an Apple Partition Map and an MFS partition pair on the drive as part of initial external drive setup, so it should most likely just go ahead and assume the drive is unformatted and format it the way it wants it, overwriting whatever's already on there.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I did that several months ago. I had used it with my Premiere but one glitch and I lost everything. I was also using it with NTFS via USB on my computer. When I bought a basic Roamio I pulled the 1TB drive and put it in the Roamio. Took about 30 minutes if you already have the proper tools. There is a thread all about this: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=507695. Also, if you think you may someday put the drive back, mark the mounts used to hold the drive. There are five, each different, and will be impossible to reassemble without a guide. I kept the old 500GB drive and bought a USB 3.0 enclosure to use it on my computer. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  4. brucedl

brucedl Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Chicago,...
    I read through those threads and I was taking that in to consideration. Ultimately, I think that's good advice and I'd probably serve myself well by *not* saving a ton of things that I might never watch anyhow.

5. brucedl

brucedl Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Chicago,...

Advertisements

Not sure of I was completely clear. I'm just thinking of plugging the My Book, as is, back in as the DVR Extender drive. Yes, the Roamio I purchased is only 500 GB, but I've already started saving some shows to it and I don't want to risk voiding the warranty on my brand new Roamio this quickly. Thanks for the thread link though!

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    To be clear, with the external there are now multiple points of failure (drives/cables/connectors/power/). But, statistically it does not "double the chances" of failure, its not quite that high. Don't make me look up how that math works!

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    By all means use the My Book. I was using mine for a while on my router. But as you asked in your original post, yes it will work. TiVo will format it. Existing shows will not be affected. Good luck.

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And by existing shows you mean ones already on the TiVo to which the OP proposes to attach the external drive and not any shows recorded onto the external previously by some other TiVo, right?

I bring this up lest a future reader misinterpret.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Let me try this. When an external drive is attached, TiVo formats the drive and begins to split new recordings across the two drives. If that external drive is removed, and you confirm it is gone, then that external drive and its recordings are lost. You cannot operated the TiVo without an existing external drive removed for some reason unless you want to lose that content. Of course you can power off the TiVo and external drive to move them. Just be sure the drive is powered up and connected when power is reapplied to the TiVo.

So if I have 20 shows on my box, then add an external drive, programs 21 and up will be split and forever be tied to the two devices.

We good?

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That may be the best, most clear explanation of how it works that I've seen so far, and you've done future searchers a great service.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    At first it bothered me that I was explaining something I feel is wrong. But nobody is forced to use an external drive or buy a bigger internal drive. So far TiVo doesn't have a copyright on freedom of choice. :)

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A poor explanation wouldn't make it any more palatable.