My 2 cents worth

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dbperkins, Jun 30, 2019.

1. dbperkins

dbperkins Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Kalamazoo MI
    Been on and off of this site for a long time. My first Tivo was from Direct TV. Then I went with their brand of DVR for many years. I moved a went with Universe (AT&T). Had that for a while and back to Direct TV and a genie. Prices went up a lot so I switched to cable with Tivo. Yes I have had some problems(nothing major) except the 3tb Bolt pit the dust after a year and half. Replaced it and my son added a 4 tuner bolt to the account. So now it is 2 bolts and one mini. The mini is bad with streaming apps. BUT to me if the DVR records and plays the program that is the main thing. I don't care about the UI. A DVR is a DVR in my book. Yes I am saving money by using Tivo vs my cable company DVR. Will I stay with Tivo? For now yes...only time will tell. If you hate things about the tivo so much go back to VHS or Beta. Just my 2 cents.

CloudAtlas and Darrell Patton like this.
  2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I guess that was priced about right. :p

mrsean and kpeters59 like this.
  3. Jul 1, 2019 #3 of 23
    wizwor

wizwor Active Member

Dec 17, 2013

PSA for Prohibition, I guess.

Beta and VHS earned the contempt of Big Entertainment in the seventies. VCRs were the only game in town until 1999 when Replay TV and TiVo arrived. Replay TV was targeted by Big Entertainment lawyers for features like 'internet show sharing' and 'commercial advance' and TiVo became a synonym for 'record'. (The guy who founded Replay TV went on to run the Griffin project at Netflix which would become the Roku streamer.)

As the sun sets on TiVo, consumers are awash in commercial skipping recorders and routinely stream/share shows over the internet.

It's a shame OP has missed out on all that has happened since the turn of the century.

mschnebly likes this.
  4. Jul 1, 2019 #4 of 23
    mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    I don't understand why some folks get upset if someone likes any other device besides TiVo. I like TiVo but these other devices and services are becoming very good too. More modern, cheaper, "watch anywhere" on any internet connection and great quality without having to rely on a cable contract or OTA. The availability of these other devices are what's bringing about all the new original content on Hulu, Netflix, Prime, HBO, etc and it's great. The cost of entry to these new ways to watch video is very reasonable.

NashGuy and mrsean like this.
  5. Jul 1, 2019 #5 of 23
    MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Quite frankly it's all good... and it's all bad... fortunately, not all at the same time. This is the price of capitalism and progress. People find a problem, someone comes up with a solution that solves the problem, eventually inexpensively (cost can be money, time, labor, or other form of payment), eventually the costs creep up again as the capitalists demand their profits, and or other problems creep in. A new solution arises.... Wash, dry, cycle continues.

Keep exploring, use what works for you. Stay informed, inform others. Overall, if we all work together, things typically are better than they were before.

We've never had so many entertainment choices at so many different price levels. I know I'm better off in this respect.

6. Jul 1, 2019 #6 of 23
    Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I agree. It's the definition of "fanboy". I'm a member of many different forums for various devices that I use and there are so many people that are so passionate about a particular product that they don't know how to be objective.

mschnebly and mrsean like this.
  7. Jul 1, 2019 #7 of 23
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I'm skeptical about that. It's very hard to determine given the promotions that are offered and that the true cost of a cable package is never publicly available. Almost nobody pays the advertised rates. In my experience with Spectrum I'm convinced that using my TiVo instead of their DVR has saved me nothing! I know someone in my neighborhood who had the same cable package as me but using the Spectrum DVR, and their bill was the same as mine within a few dollars.

mschnebly and NashGuy like this.
  8. Jul 1, 2019 #8 of 23
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I am surprised by this although the greatest savings with Tivos occurs when you are using a couple of minis not just the Tivo DVR. I found a blog from 2018 which seemed to indicate that the Spectrum DVR cost $13 a month, but the "service" for using it was another $13 a month and additional boxes approx. $6-7 per. Assuming this is accurate and you own a Tivo DVR and a couple of minis and that a cable card rents for $2 a month, it is hard to figure how you might be saving nothing.
    The Hidden Costs of Spectrum | CableTV.com
    I know when I when to Tivos vs the Verizon Fios VMS system + service with a DVR and 2 more of their boxes my bill went down over $50 per month and my entire Tivo "investment" was paid back in less than 2 years. My original Tivo Roamio Plus had lifetime service.

9. Jul 1, 2019 #9 of 23
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Not hard at all. As I said, what your really pay for Spectrum cable has little relationship to their official prices, what with all the promotions and discounts they offer (to anyone who cares enough to make a phone call and push them a little). The facts are in the bottom line of their bills, as per the example I mentioned. They easily skate around the "bring-your-own-equipment" provisions. Now my data is a couple of years old, since the neighbor I mentioned dropped cable two years ago -- it's conceivable Spectrum has cleaned up their act since then.

10. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Especially here...:tonguewink:

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I just bought a couple of Mini VOXes. The apps run MUCH better on them. I don't get the freezing in YouTube and I don't get the weird audio repeat issue in Amazon. I think the original Mini just doesn't have enough RAM or CPU power to run all the apps smoothly. IIRC it's based on the sister chip used for the Premiere platform, so it's basically the same generation hardware as the Premiere, which we all know sucks at everything.

Mikeguy and CloudAtlas like this.
  12. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    It’s a natural response to defend something being attacked. I don’t think it’s about being Pro-TiVO/fanboy or passionate about TiVO, it’s about people getting fed up with “glass bowls” taunting to get under people’s skin. Arguing just to annoy. Letting people know that the day THEY cut the cord was the day owning a TiVO was stupid. Or how CableCARDs are done and TiVo’s DEAD and your lifetime and box are worthless BUT they sold their TiVo already! Or how it’s laughable to watch their parents use a DVR...in 2019! And this is everyday!

I think most people like hearing about new technologies and hardware. I like hearing about features from other products especially if they can be copied by TiVO. I only became aware of Hulu TV or PlayStation VUE because of these threads.

13. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    The TiVO VOX is really a nice piece of hardware and it’s just a shame very few people know about it. Running apps on the earlier Minis was painful. 4x CPU and 2x Memory.

Mini VOX
    12,000 DMIPS (ARM Cortex)
    2GB DRAM
    8GB eMMC Flash
    Mini v1/v2
    3,000 DMIPS (Broadcom 7428)
    1GB DRAM
    4GB eMMC Flash

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I likewise don't understand why some folks get upset here if someone says the he/she like his/her TiVo box . . . .

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You guys are just overreacting. Nobody's upset; they just aren't fully appreciative of each other's viewpoints. :D

mschnebly and tenthplanet like this.
  16. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    And when somebody posts in regards to TiVo compared to other DVRs that there's "nothing like it," I usually just don't have the time or energy to post in response, "the 16 tuner, 7 TV supported, with clients that do more than Minis (along with a wireless client available that works very well), custom folders, 4 channel PIP, and more, the Hopper 3 isn't like a TiVo: the H3 exceeds a TiVo.

TiVo is an excellent DVR, and beats most other cable company DVRs, and is by far the best OTA DVR, but when I switch from my Hopper 3 to my TiVos to view content, I feel as if I'm on a diminished DVR by comparison, and I love my TiVo's for the job they do very well, but Dish Hoppers, especially H3, beat TiVo a long, long time ago.

ncted and mschnebly like this.
  17. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone get upset because someone said they like their TiVo. LOL

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Dan,

FYI, we were seeing the audio repeat issue with Amazon on our Roamio Pro so not sure you can totally blame that one on the CPU/memory with the earlier Mini. We were seeing it last month probably 4 or 5 times while binging Downton Abbey but have not had it happen in the last few weeks.

Scott

19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Really? I see it here not infrequently.

20. BNBTivo

BNBTivo Active Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Wait until you see what's next.... Unlimited DVR and tuners.... Oh, already here. Hardware cable/sat boxes are so last year. :)